I am just wondering , I never listen to any group to make up my mind , and march to my own beat ,

BUT i was wondering if anyone actually liked that big boxy , primative , basic colored Metro UI that Microsoft is insisting on using on their PC software and their windows mobile devices?

I personally prefer a clean desktop architecture , like windows xp , and actually liked windows mobile back in the day when it had desktop like features.

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Portugal
I dislike it.
I understand we're all in the minimalism age, but Microsoft took that concept a little bit too far.
By the way, it is no longer Metro UI, it's now called Modern UI

19:48 <Remi-X>: my name is fry and im shy
19:48 <Remi-X>: sh*t how can i even say something that dumb

Me no rikey!

You gotta strike a balance between aesthetics and functionality. Windows Phone fails badly at this, much worse than iOS or Android. I mean that whole swipe up or hit those tiny dots to see the Menu is rubbish, especially when half the screen is empty (which happens A LOT). Next is, when they do offer options, its usually not the priority or main ones.

iOS was worse than Android, but they've really made it intuitive and functional. Off the bat, its one of the best mobile experiences around because it not only looks good, its consistent, and still featureful.

Android is a heap of mess. Whether you look at the gimmicky TouchWizz or the cluttered Sense or the inconsistent Stock... there's obvious gripes which haven't been solved.

I naturally prefer TouchWizz because its the most powerful version, I then go and skin TouchWizz to my liking. It not only looks consistent and behaves fluidly, it makes the experience much better to use.

I liked the direction Belle and BBX were going but not at where they are. I guess I could say the software which impressed me the most was the PlayBook's. If that only was on better hardware, had a better ecosystem, and a toolset to boot (Qt-Linux anyone?)... it would've been a no-brainer for consumers. In fact, its so good it could've been great on handsets, tablets, laptops* and TV's.... a strategy which would've worked wonders for SONY.

I'm rocking Windows 7 at the moment too, Windows 8+ is also fundamentally flawed on many levels (are the designers on LSD?).

I don't despise change, I welcome it. I only despise it when its counter-intuitive, less-useful, or meaningless (change for the sake of change... wtf).

I'm flattered

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I like it. Tons better than some of the other, gradient heavy and UI inconsistent attempts out there.

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Australia
As RiD said, I think they took simple UI too far. I do like the flattened UI of windows 8 in terms of menu bars and buttons etc, however metro UI sucks in general and really seems counter intuitive. A lot of the iconography in the new office and the direction microsoft seems to be taking that dumbs it down too much, it just seems silly. I am a bit fan of the iOS design however, with the flattened UI, and the use of blurred elements is amazing, however incredibly hard to recreate. I feel apple is heading more so in the right direction in terms of design, microsoft tried to leap ahead and took a wrong turn in the process.

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Northern WI, USA
I think there's some really great parts of the Modern (aka Metro) UI, but there's other things about it I hate. I love the live tiles homescreen. It's unique and fun and actually really useful. The canvas menus, with the left-to-right navigation? Those are neat, but the Modern UI makes titles (like in the People Hub) ginormous and the title alone takes up a third of the screen. Then the rest of the way everything is laid out looks messy. I think it's because the fonts are too big in general. That put me off big time. Screen real estate is wasted.

The general look of the flat icons I like. And you have to give Microsoft some credit, in 2011 Android was on Gingerbread and Apple iOS 4/5, neither which had flat elements as a pillar throughout. A few years later and things have changed in a big way, most notable for Apple and iOS 7.

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Indonesia
generally i love metro ui looks, tiles colour very attractive. What i don't like is their dialog box and "radio button" they just like windows 3.1 era ..LoL

Posts: 277 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Poland
I really don't like that 'modern' UI. Microsoft made a couple of steps backwards with it. It might be pretty but that is all there is. It's not easy to use, a lot of screen space is wasted and that kinetic scrolling is just terrible.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
The look is fine. Aestheticly I quite like it.

Its the actual GUI and interaction with it that I hate in Windows 8. Mostly solved by simply installing Classic Shell and few minutes of fiddling with the options in it.

The Phone variant of the UI has grown on me but it is still not something that I would like to use for my daily driver.