Notices

Helloes

Earlier today I googled "maemo games", I was curious about other sources for games on this platform.
After roaming around a few pages on google, I went back and entered the first result - Games, here on Maemo.org, expecting to see the same Games page I've seen a few weeks ago. But as I scrolled through the pages I thought "wow, did they really get all these great games in so fast?"

Then I realized I was looking at the OS2008 games section. Guys, how come we're missing out so many games?

Here's a few games I wanted to try:

Beneath a Steel Sky - looks like an interesting adventure game to explore
OpenLieroX - Omfg I love liero!
Abuse - this shooter looks extremely familiar...
Pingus - a "Lemmings-like game"!
Bos wars - looks like a proper 3d RTS game

I tried installing most of these but it says "application package not found".
I assume there are guides to get some of these working on the N900. But why not make them easy to download and install? For instance there's NumptyPhysics - such a great game that apparently can work on Maemo 5... only after a few tricks, which is why it's not in the app catalog for Maemo 5 games. It's a shame

Don't get me wrong, I am the last to complain. I love my device and what this community made available for it. Just wanted to give those some attention. cheers!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dragy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
'Application package not found' sounds as if you got the repo but you are only getting the .install file. I might be, that in your case you got a maemo-extras repo and the distribution field is either blank or have Fremantle in it - and not 'Diablo'.

Note: no idea if any of these games will run once installed or mess anything up.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

+1 for Abuse!!!

Yeah you're right. I added the package and tried again: out of all the games I mentioned, only Abuse seems to install and run... it crashed only once so far.
My point is really to have them ported properly for noobs like me to simply click&install them.

Here's the abuse source:
http://abuse.zoy.org/wiki/Downloads

This is the source for Bos Wars:
http://www.boswars.org/download.shtml

And Pingus:
http://pingus.seul.org/download.html

These all seem to be ported by the same guy. I'd suggest you try and contact him and see if he'd be willing to upload to the N900 Fremantle repositories instead of just Diablo. If not, then re-compiling them shouldn't be overly difficult; I'll try when I get home.

Don't want to upload a package that someone else is already Maintaining though.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 478 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Manchester
beneath a steel sky is available for N900. I think it's in the extra-devels repo. It has a massive intro that you can't skip though. You can also play it on ScummVM if you can find the original game files. You should then be able to skip the intro etc.

Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
'Application package not found' sounds as if you got the repo but you are only getting the .install file. I might be, that in your case you got a maemo-extras repo and the distribution field is either blank or have Fremantle in it - and not 'Diablo'.
OS2008 install links do not and are not supposed to work with N900.

For fatalsaint, I am not planning on updating these packages for N900. Somebody already did Bos Wars though.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mornage View Post
beneath a steel sky is available for N900. I think it's in the extra-devels repo. It has a massive intro that you can't skip though. You can also play it on ScummVM if you can find the original game files. You should then be able to skip the intro etc.
Beneath a Steel Sky from extras-devel is exactly the same as the original game files and it is played through ScummVM.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 478 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
Beneath a Steel Sky from extras-devel is exactly the same as the original game files and it is played through ScummVM.
I dont have ScummVM installed but do have beneath a steel sky and can play it. i will have to try it on ScummVM later as the into is a pain!

Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
OS2008 install links do not and are not supposed to work with N900.

For fatalsaint, I am not planning on updating these packages for N900. Somebody already did Bos Wars though.
is it complete? I notice you had boswars and boswars-data... only boswars is in the extras-devel repo's.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!