Posts: 152 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sydney
Code:
 cat /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-2/2-0063/power_level
88 here.

I tried setting it to 118 while transmitting and what a difference! Suddenly so much clearer.

I did find that file /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-2/2-0063/power_level did exist when FM transmitter was off.

I also found that plugging in a wall charger dropped the power level to 88.

Now to make it persistent...

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
Originally Posted by smage View Post
Ok ı'm running at 122 now, the device is still alive and running and seems stable, but I wouldn't use it like that for extended periods of time... I just felt naughty, and tbh it wouldn't be of use to me anyway with high noise so I had to do it.
Did you notice any significant difference between 118 and 122?

i.e. I'm wondering since the chip specs specify 118, if the driver/chip knows enough to treat any values above 118 as 118.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to go1dfish For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by go1dfish View Post
Did you notice any significant difference between 118 and 122?

i.e. I'm wondering since the chip specs specify 118, if the driver/chip knows enough to treat any values above 118 as 118.
I tried a bunch of different numbers past 118.

With each increase in number between 111 to 118, there is a noticeable improvement, but once you reach 118, any higher number doesn't seem to make any difference and sounds the same as 118 itself.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to iKneaDough For This Useful Post:
mine is at 114 and works ok in a ford focus

i just wish I could set the freq below 88.1 as everything above 88 seems to be taken

funny enough my region_bottom_freq value is set to 87500 so the 88.1 thing may be a gui limmitation

The Following User Says Thank You to yorg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 108 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Como, Italy
yes above 118 doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference.

I just wish we could get some more juice out of the radio transmitter as I could really use it

The Following User Says Thank You to smage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Shropshire UK
Hi - any of you guys that are looking at these files related to the FM transmitter know if there is anything that enables or disables the transmitter? I might be treading on thin ice here, but I have an N900 from Nokia.co.uk and it currently has the FM transmitter disabled! I'm awaiting a call from Nokia about this - but I was just hoping someone might know of an easy answer - unless of course this is a fault and it says it is disabled because it cannot contact it!?!?

Hmm, anyway, just thought I'd throw that in there. Sorry it isn't directly related - other than asking how I can increase my power from, well.. disabled...

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
have people covered the fact that the transmitter's digital?

i based this on the fact that when i use my phone in my brand new vehicle, it actually displays "NOKIA" on the car's display, it also has perfect sound quality. but in our 1999 Mazda 626, it doesn't display NOkia, and the sound quality is terrible!

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by DaveQB View Post
Code:
 cat /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-2/2-0063/power_level
88 here.

I tried setting it to 118 while transmitting and what a difference! Suddenly so much clearer.

I did find that file /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-2/2-0063/power_level did exist when FM transmitter was off.

I also found that plugging in a wall charger dropped the power level to 88.

Now to make it persistent...
Can an xTerm script @root be tied to a desktop shortcut like this command was >> http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=409122&postcount=3

Having a button to press from the desktop while the transmitter is running is a lot easier to do in a moving vehicle where this hack is most useful.
Opening xTerm, entering root, opening notepad, copying the script, then pasting it in xTerm is a bit cumbersome and I do not have the skills to easily confirm that something like:

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=0.1
Type=Application
Terminal=true
Name=POW
Exec=sudo gainroot
Exec=echo 118 > /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-2/2-0063/power_level
Icon=     
#X-Window-Icon=timerwidget
X-Window-Icon=     
X-HildonDesk-ShowInToolbar=true
X-Osso-Type=application/x-executable
would even work and I would have to run back and forth to my car where my only FM radio lives...

...in the dark, on a cold rainy night. Brrrrr!

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-01-02 at 23:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Can an xTerm script @root be tied to a desktop shortcut like this command was >> http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=409122&postcount=3

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=0.1
Type=Application
Terminal=true
Name=POW
Exec=sudo gainroot
Exec=echo 118 > /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-2/2-0063/power_level
Icon=     
#X-Window-Icon=timerwidget
X-Window-Icon=     
X-HildonDesk-ShowInToolbar=true
X-Osso-Type=application/x-executable
would even work and I would have to run back and forth to my car where my only FM radio lives...

...in the dark, on a cold rainy night. Brrrrr!

I am not familiar with the Desktop files that much, so not sure how having to Exec lines works. Is that right?

And as sudo gainroot launches a login shell, any subsequent commands shouldn't run in there, atleast in a shell script it doesn't, again, not familiar with desktop files.
So one could setuid bit on a script that just runs this command, so it runs with root privileges.

Ok I just read your linked thread. That is a command running as normal user. So it gets tricky to escalate privileges in a command.

The setuid is the best I can think of for now, but people will complain it is not a secure option

I need to take a look at that this "gainroot" argument actually does; we might be able to add this command to the suders file so we can simply sudo the command without the need for a password....

I openned up /etc/suders and an excerpt.

Code:
### Automatically added by update-sudoers start ###
Defaults env_check+="HOME DISPLAY"
Defaults env_keep+="HOME DISPLAY"
Defaults env_reset
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/gainroot
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/mmc-mount /dev/mmcblk0 /media/mmc1
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/mmc-mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /media/mmc1
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /bin/umount /media/mmc1,/bin/umount -l /media/mmc1
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/osso-usb-mass-storage-enable.sh, /usr/sbin/osso-usb-mass-storage-disable.sh
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/mkdosfs /dev/mmcblk0*, /usr/sbin/mmc-rename /dev/mmcblk0*
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /etc/init.d/af-base-apps stop , /etc/osso-af-init/gconf-daemon.sh stop
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /etc/init.d/af-base-apps start , /etc/osso-af-init/gconf-daemon.sh start
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /etc/init.d/osso-systemui restart
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/gconf-clean.sh
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/chroot /mnt/initfs /usr/bin/retutime *
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/current/g_file_storage.ko stall=0 file=/dev/mmcblk0
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/current/g_ether.ko
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/rmmod g_file_storage
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /sbin/rmmod g_ether
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/osso-backup-restore-locale
user ALL = (install) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/app-installer-tool
### Automatically added by update-sudoers end ###
%users ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/libexec/apt-worker
%users ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/hildon-application-manager-util restore-catalogues
%users ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/hildon-application-manager-util restore-catalogues2
%users ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/hildon-application-manager-util clear-user-catalogues
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/personalisation
user ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/hildon-input-method-configurator.bin
So, as root, we can add the command we need and then the script can simply be
Code:
sudo echo 118 > /sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-2/2-0063/power_level
This is a quick look, I'll spend some more time on it later..

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DaveQB For This Useful Post: