Closed Thread
... but bug with kernel-power no.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
If you have an issue with the software powering maemo.org, raise a bug.
He raised a bug per your suggestion. How long might it take to solve this bug? Do you have the ability to help?

"the council" should solve pali's issue, there are many ppl who are waiting for this to be fixed to update the kernel power
and btw "the council" is a funny name for a bunch of guys who knows more about MOBILE PHONES, so is your acting of ignorance :-P

Originally Posted by AgogData View Post
btw "the council" is a funny name for a bunch of guys who knows more about MOBILE PHONES, so is your acting of ignorance :-P
I don't want to start any flamewar here, but this is definitely NOT a way of discussion that I would like to see here. Let keep alone fact, that most council guys contributed for the community more, than You can even hope to do in 100 years. It's just plain rude to jump here demanding something, and accuse others of ignorance, without even waiting for answer. Sorry, but i feel like we're meritocratic community, and 3/4 of Your post is just plain out of topic, not to mention fact, that You probably don't know what pali's problems is about. Big NO for using Council as a sitting duck for target practice.

---

Said that, I would REALLY love to see some more interest in Pali problem. AFAIK, since Pali started to maintain orphaned kernel-power, he got problems with promoting it to extras-testing. He:

sent mail to Council about this problem,
reported in this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...35#post1036835
and raised a bug: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12284

...without ANY response, as he claims. This result in such a important (if not most important, in pair with CSSU and HEN) package sitting for AGES in -devel, (kp46, kp47) where extras version (kp23?!) - that should be stable - doesn't work, and actually BREAK device with need to reflash. Quite counter intuitive, won't You say?

As side result, kernel-power thread is bloated with infinite number of request from people that should actually use only extras. Most of the times, they - more or less - harm their device, trying - for example - to install working version of kernel-power, and ending up with unstable, development version. Let alone dis-motivative effect for Pali, when he needs to deal with that, instead of coding kernel-power.

I know that maemo community is going through HUGE "political" storm, but nothing can be worse than thinking about big plans at cost of sacrificing daily hard work, done by community contributors on essential (and less essential) packages. Sometimes, i could not care less about "will Nokia/won't Nokia/ will meego/won't meego", if important here-and-now things are obstructed. And i definitely don't want to see another kernel-power maintainer disappearing without any notice.

With all due respect

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-07-10 at 22:18.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
here is a loyal servant of the holy council

Dear council,

Re: packages not showing in package interface:

I might be looking at the wrong bugs but I think the ones Pali created for Kernel-Power v0.47 not showing in the interface, all say unconfirmed. How can this be altered? It is quite simple to check these are valid: compare the versions listed in devel repository with those listed in package interface. Also, why is the old maintainer still listed as the sole maintainer for some of the Kernel-Power packages, and does that have something to do with the failure to promote?,

Please would you give a progress report on the discrepency between the repositories and the package interface pages.

There needs to be a means of preventing this situation recurring, for this or any other programme. Where the original maintainer of a given programme ceases to maintain that package or even be involved with maemo.org, there needs to be an easy and efficient method for transfering/co-opting mainteners. If such a scheme already exists, why didn't it work in this case?

On behalf of the many kernel-power users, thank you in advance for you assistance.

----
just hit preview - Others have pretty much said what needs to be said. But I'd like to add to it. @Estel - v0.42 is the extras version, not v0.23, I think?

Last edited by demolition; 2011-07-10 at 22:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
I'm really concerned about power-kernel issue because it's going to be a huge problem in the long term. Now that a lot of developers have jumped from Maemo, we should have an easier way to regain control of packages for maintainability.

If it's not fixed, what will happen in a very near future? We will end with hundreds of forks of different applications and packages or putting them in any other place instead of the repositories.

The Following User Says Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
What about a kind of 'super maintainer' That has full control over the repo's? I.e. trusted members who have proven themselves beyond any doubt to be knowledgeable, responsible and fair. These super maintainers would have the ability to promote/demote ANY package in the development repository.

There is a lot of stable orphaned stuff hanging around development/testing that could really do with a nudge...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
What about a kind of 'super maintainer' That has full control over the repo's? I.e. trusted members who have proven themselves beyond any doubt to be knowledgeable, responsible and fair. These super maintainers would have the ability to promote/demote ANY package in the development repository.

There is a lot of stable orphaned stuff hanging around development/testing that could really do with a nudge...
I think it is a great idea to have a volunteer member in place to look over the repositories. The promotion of packages is a touchy subject but I think we could do a system where a super maintainer can volunteer a package for promotion/demotion and carry it out x days after making a public notice if there is no objection.

Can you nominate someone, preferably someone known to Bergie and X-Fade?

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
A while back I had this idea of a QAmaster with pretty much that role. In happier times, this would have been a full-time, paid position, but now we will have to do whatever we have. Just remember - people make mistakes, and the Maemo Extras setup has grown organically (=is pretty messy), so relatively easy to trip over things.

On a side note, now is probably a good time to revisit the QA counts/limits as the interest is obviously shifting to MeeGo which makes it more difficult to maintain the community QA than ever.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
council