In the past 48 hours, we've seen quite a few of the fake "PR 1.2 is out!!!" threads. Trust me, it's very tempting for me to reply with a personal attack against the perpetrator (the one that comes to mind is something questioning whether they have a social life). Fortunately, the cooler side usually prevails and I report the thread as a hoax. The mods have been doing a decent job in deleting threads once they are reported. In any case, by not replying, other activity on this forum will bury the hoax thread.

Obviously, this is a dramatic update, and I am among those who are really looking forward to get it. However, I would much rather wait a bit longer for it if the result is a better quality release... one that results in a more reliable and responsive phone.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to cyeung For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
One thing I hate about the proliferation of hoax threads is that they help bury other threads. I posted someting the other day about changes in the Rhapsody service that was buried almost immediately; then I bumped it and IT was also quickly buried.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Please vote for solution #17 on this Brainstorm.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
i agree there needs to be a solution but taking away author privileges for new threads until they reach a certain criteria i think that will cause spammers and trolls to hijack already popular threads ruining legit discussions

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I think that mild punishments like banning for a week will bring most spammers and trolls to their senses. For others, perhaps the electric chair ...

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
i agree there needs to be a solution but taking away author privileges for new threads until they reach a certain criteria i think that will cause spammers and trolls to hijack already popular threads ruining legit discussions
How is that worse than starting useless threads?

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
One thing I hate about the proliferation of hoax threads is that they help bury other threads. I posted someting the other day about changes in the Rhapsody service that was buried almost immediately; then I bumped it and IT was also quickly buried.
for me this is the only reason I hate those.(both OPs and threads)

I can happily skip any title that implies to that stuff even a little bit. but I am not happy searching real content among those titles.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Oh come on!

Read the OP.

Think.

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
Solution 17 may stop new useless threads from appearing, but it would also cut off people who have recently bought a device, are having issues and want to post a topic in the forum to try and get help...

I lurked on the boards for a long time before posting, I've been reading t.m.o for ~6 months now, signed up with an account after getting a n900 but only started posting few days ago, and the only reason i started posting was I had an issue and was looking for a solution...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lwa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lwa View Post
Solution 17 may stop new useless threads from appearing, but it would also cut off people who have recently bought a device, are having issues and want to post a topic in the forum to try and get help...

I lurked on the boards for a long time before posting, I've been reading t.m.o for ~6 months now, signed up with an account after getting a n900 but only started posting few days ago, and the only reason i started posting was I had an issue and was looking for a solution...
Thank you Iwa for taking up a discussion before voting the solution down.

I believe that all common issues have been already addressed in one thread or another. Not having the option to start whining about "exchange support" or "portrait mode" for the googolth time will incite people to use the search instead.

I am sure we can have a common thread for new issues.

Everyone that joins and presents her/himself will already have received a couple of "thank you" just for that courtesy. I am not suggesting a very high threshold.