Notices

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Looking forward to your coments on the London trip.
If Syngic is out of sync when you are about to make a turn, there is no point of buying it..
How is it in the trial version, can you add poi's?

I hope it will be released on monday...

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Connecticut
Hopefully the lag is a matter of unpolished trial version. Still crossing my fingers for this only N900 voice nav at the moment.

I'm also curious to see how it worked out for your London trip.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Me too...report, plz.

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by cardiff-blues View Post
However, one of the annoyances is that it is not overtly easy to switch between applications with the sat nav running as it runs in full screen and I couldn't find a way to flick quickly to another app. As far as I can tell, the only way to do this using the sygic menus is to close the sat nav down entirely.

There seems to be a lag in the voice and maps. The old Nokia N95 sat nav maps were generally 'spot on' when the voice said, "turn right" you could guarantee you were right at the point that you needed to do so.
Does ctrl-backspace work?

Could it be that it's the GPSses fault and not Sygics? Is the location on the map correct?

I noticed this lag behaviour of Sygic on my N97 too. It renders the navigational skills of this device to zero. I blamed the underpowered hardware and the bad N97 GPS antenna for it. Hopefully this is not the case with N900. I agree with you, Sygic on N95 works flawlessly.

Since i rule out the poor hardware (whats the cpu consumption when using Sycig?), maybe N900 gps is also too weak or reacts too slow?

The position often jumps around on Sygic/N97, wanting me to turn around on the highway , just to see that my position is fixed on the city streets next to the highway. Can you confirm such behaviour on N900 ?

ein_guter

This may be premature (as it's still "coming soon"), but in http://sygic.com/index.php/en/how-to-buy.html you can buy every version except Maemo5 with entire Europe or North America maps :-(

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
Pitty that there's no such thing for Diablo

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Today I tried the new Ovi maps after the latest dist-upgrade. Bluetooth position seems to be updated at quite a low frequency, say two times per second. Might be that the satnav program lags in comparison to real position for this reason?

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
OK
London trip accomplished.
I set off from Surrey this morning about 9:00am, heading for Streatham, South London.

Almost immediately the lag was evident for a while and then became occasional. Now i am not sure if this was the software, the gps or some other issue but it does seem to lag at times.

As my journey progressed I didn' seem to notice the lag but i was trying to get used to driving and the new screens. I think i prefer the N95 mapping views but that may just be because i am not used to the sygic screens. One really annoying thing which i couldn't work out while driving was the speed limit display onscreen was showing weird speeds.

I knew what limits should have been displayed but i was getting indicators like 25 and 35 which was confusing me. I then twigged that the road speed limit icon was displaying the kilometer speed limit and not the mile speeds.

Now the first thing i thought was i'm sure i changed the settings to miles instead of kilometers and this was confirmed when i got back and checked.

Another thing was that i didn't receive any speed camera warnings at all. I used to like this feature on the N95 so alas that was absent.

On my return journey i thought, hey lets go crazy and just follow the sat nav. I hit some heavy traffic and tried the re-route which was a big mistake. I had to make lots of turns quite quickly and there seemed to be lag which is not good when you are completely lost.

Sygic voice doesn't name the street you need to turn into but if it is a named road it will say turn right into A1000 or whatever. I found it confusing when the voice was telling me to take a turn and the screen would show what street to turn into but then after looking at the turn it seemed to be the wrong street.

Whether this was another instance of the lag i'm not sure but it confused me and i spent ages stuck trying to get out of the traffic and find out where i was going.

At one point it just seemed to be sending me in one big loop. That may be software lag, gps issues or user incompetence - coupled with unfamiliar screens.

I took to the voice guidance on the N95 almost immediately and loved it. I will persevere while testing the sygic software but if you asked me right now if i would buy it then I wouldn't. Very rarely did i notice lags on the N95 and even then the mapping was quick to restore and clear. Perhaps i am not being fair to sygic at the moment so i will keep using and testing it for a few weeks until the testing period runs out before making a decision on this. If the retail price on this is expensive when it is released then i may well go for a dedicated sat nav instead.

I will post further feedback if it is useful for anyone?
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cardiff-blues For This Useful Post:

Tags
application, fremantle, gps, maemo, maemo 5, map, navigation, sygic, turn-by-turn