Posts: 171 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, uk
So on the day that PR1.2 *finally* appears I think my poor n900 is dead...

Saturday (4 days ago) phone fell down the loo - was in a bag so I didn't think it was too wet - obviously wrong there! Put it in rice in airing cupbaird since then, now won't turn on with either battery, but with battery out either plugged into charger or USB get constant orange/yellow led which I'm guessing means it's dead... this light persists after i put battery back in...

so.. my question - wait a few more days or make the torturous insurance claim call now???

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mumbai, India and Amherst, USA (Current Location)
Claim it and get a new N900

hmm try and get a new battery. maybe something could have happend to it when it was in the water? i dont realy know but i have read bout the rice idea did u remove the battery while u did the rice thing ? that is a must if i remember correctly.

yep, battery was out while i did the rice thing... have got a spare batt and it now on external charge... fingers crossed....

Ok, so have tried new fully charged battery to no avail.. still have constant yellow led when battery out and phone plugged in to charger which persists when battery put in... Phone won't work in mass storage mode (tried on several PCs - Win XP and Ubuntu), phone won't start up in USB mode by holding down U key and then inserting usb cable so attempting to flash is a non starter.. Phone gets very hot behind the kb so I'm guessing it shorted when it went in the water... going to phone Geek Squad (Carphone Warehouse insurers) where I have Geek Squad Max cover which covers specifically for liquid damage.. will see how I get on and will post what happens on here in case it helps anyone in the future... of course, the easy solution is not to drop your phone in liquid!!!

Ok.. have read a lot of bad stuff about Geek Squad insurance and CPW - in my case they have actually been great! When I took the phone into teh local CPW shop he asked me a few questions, put down that the phone was beyond economic repair due to water damage and GAVE ME A BRAND NEW BOXED N900!!! I wasn't expecting that and am well pleased with the outcome - also got charged £10 less than the advertised policy excess! result

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
Thats a great outcome for you! Unfortunately I just put my phone in the washing machine for about 5 minutes earlier before I realized it was in my shorts pocket. I ran back to the washer yanked it out, the battery out, and have been pouring isopropyl alcohol into and spraying it out with air duster for the past hour. We'll see if it helps...