Posts: 171 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, uk
Off to Japan next month and want to be able to use my n900 for data and a little voice, bt mainly data for maps etc. Used UK roaming for voice and text in january, but not data as charge was 7£ per mb!

looking at this sim card rental:

http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/simrent.html

anyone know if it will work ok with n900 or know of a better option?

TIA

Posts: 171 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, uk
Anyone have any ideas on this? would be very helpful!

bump. someone help this guy out.

The Following User Says Thank You to Soulaxe For This Useful Post:
I see no reason why the sim card would not work. Good find this, last time I checked (last october) I couldn't find unlimited data service, I think I'll be goign again this october-ish and usable data connection will make life easier.

Rental SIM cards are available from Softbank, but they charge 2JPY per packet. Overpriced. I don't know if docomo rents SIM cards for their fOma network, you may want to check that out.

If you know someone in Japan with a cellphone, you can get a bmobileSIM. The 6 month and 1 year models are available in stores, while there's a 1 month version you can order online and have shipped to a Japanese address.

http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/sim/

A friend and I used the 1 month SIM when I went over for 2 weeks last August. Had to go through Rinkya, a proxy-bid service, and paid an extra 2/3 the cost but it was worth it compared to the 6 month version. Had a friend in Japan activate it, worked like a charm in my N900.

I used Skype for all my voice calls while I was there and it worked quite well.

Tags
do as i say, not as i do