Now on the right place, I hope.

Hi,

The title says it all.
Howmany pictures have I lost because I had to unlock the phone before I can shoot...

So I was wondering if (I have searched and found nothing) there could be a way to take a picture from the lockscreen or something like that.

Of course I could deactivate lockscreen but I'll for sure forget to reactivate it or will have to take a picture just after reactivating it.

Any suggestion?
Cheers
Eric

P.S. Recording sound the same way would also be great. Even without to switch it on, only by a long press on the camera button for instance...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Hey ric9k, I'm not sure I understand your question correctly. You want to start the camera as soon as possible when the phone is locked? The quickest way I know is to simply open the camera-slider and the camera application will instantly launch, even when the phone is locked...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ThomasAH View Post
...The quickest way I know is to simply open the camera-slider and the camera application will instantly launch, even when the phone is locked...
Hi, thanks.
Yes it is exactly that.
Are you sure? You mean the camera app is bypassing the unlock step?
On mine, I have to enter the lock code first (cssu camera). And every two times when I am in a hurry, I enter it wrong, so I loose more time.
I dont know if it's due to a too full device, the encrypted filesystem (home+sd) or the overclocking but my n900 is sometimes a bit sleepy and slow on wakeup. Slowlyness + unreactive lockcode = missed subject.

The Following User Says Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by ric9K View Post
Hi, thanks.
Yes it is exactly that.
Are you sure? You mean the camera app is bypassing the unlock step?
On mine, I have to enter the lock code first (cssu camera). And every two times when I am in a hurry, I enter it wrong, so I loose more time.
I dont know if it's due to a too full device, the encrypted filesystem (home+sd) or the overclocking but my n900 is sometimes a bit sleepy and slow on wakeup. Slowlyness + unreactive lockcode = missed subject.
Without knowing anything about the subject I'll hazard a guess it is your cryptofs that's causing it. Camera application probably cannot access disk until you have refreshed the keys by giving your lock code.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
To have an alternative lockscreen with a button to access the camera only (not the photo gallery) would be great. My filesystem is not encrypted yet i encounter the same situation: missing the subject because of having to type the lockcode. Even a fresh install can be slow on wakeup at times. Is it at all possible to seperate camera access from rest of the system on this great device?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dongle Fongle For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Theoretically, it should be possible for camera to save photographs temporarily to non-encrypted filesystem, and then, when you press photo-gallery button within camera app, request from you the lockcode to get access to your disk, and incidentally use the access to both transfer photographs from temporary location to proper directory, and to show you the photo gallery.

It does sound overly complicated...

[Edit]
So, "Enter lock code" happens even for non-encrypted filesystem (for me, too)... Not sure how to bypass that. Also, it should be by-passable to call emergency numbers, too, not only to take photographs and-or record audio-and-or-video. Do incoming calls bypass the "Enter lock code" dialog? I think so (need to check). If yes, then how?
[/Edit]

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2015-06-09 at 23:18.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Wikiwide;1473124
[Edit
So, "Enter lock code" happens even for non-encrypted filesystem (for me, too)... Not sure how to bypass that. Also, it should be by-passable to call emergency numbers, too, not only to take photographs and-or record audio-and-or-video. Do incoming calls bypass the "Enter lock code" dialog? I think so (need to check). If yes, then how?
[/Edit]
The most obvious bypass would simply be not to have a lock code to enter. For me that speeds things up significantly.

The Following User Says Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
The most obvious bypass would simply be not to have a lock code to enter. For me that speeds things up significantly.
Of course.
But what about private data if device lost?

Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Theoretically, it should be possible for camera to save photographs temporarily to non-encrypted filesystem, and then, when you press photo-gallery button within camera app, request from you the lockcode to get access to your disk, and incidentally use the access to both transfer photographs from temporary location to proper directory, and to show you the photo gallery.

It does sound overly complicated...
Not so complicated. As camera pictures save place is hardcoded, I let it save them into MyDocs/Images...dcim_something (unencrypted) and have a script running every night which moves them and makes symlinks to the new destination.

So, we just have to know how to add a button on the lock code and block the photoalbum access by, for example, renaming the app untill the right lock code has been entered or by something else more elegant... anyway I'm sure it's feasible. I dont know compile things and all tricks used to write something in C but it might exist some replacement lockscreens writen in python from which we could copy some code and add a link to the camera app.
But as allways, this is long and full of unexpected bugs.

So: if someone has the trick for hiumself thinking nobody is interrested: please share!

The Following User Says Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by ric9K View Post
Of course.
But what about private data if device lost?
If it's a concern, best to not keep private data on device in first place. Or at least secure it with something more than a lock code.

The Following User Says Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
There was some kind of program for n900 (I can't find it now) which allow you to create applications blacklist. You could start it at particular time (quick foto) and block all other applications than camera.

The Following User Says Thank You to elros34 For This Useful Post:

Tags
cryptofs, maemo 5