Active Topics

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
I stay just outside a highly secured defence area (inside where they use signal jammers) which makes it impossible for mobile phones outside the campus (too) to capture the signal. The jammer is located almost 500 m away from my house, inside a walled compound, but the signal strength inside my room fluctuates too. Sometimes it shows full strength, and the very next moment, it says no signal. Is there anything which I can do about this? If I go two rooms inside and close all the doors, the phone regains signal Anyone know how to make a home made anti signal jammer or something like that?

A highly directional antenna on your roof, pointed towards the "real" signal, connected to a signal booster, connected to a slightly directional antenna in one corner of your house, radiating towards the inside of your house.

Depending on circumstances, the booster might not be needed, a low-loss antenna cable might be enough.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I want to jam certain members here at Tmo...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 661 | Thanked: 1,625 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Croatia,Zagreb
I have problems with signal as well. Well, most of my street anyways. I'm located in a valley basically so the signal that travels from 2kms away actually bounces off the hills and some of it goes into my house's roof.
When I'm in the attic I have almost full 3.5G signal but when I'm in my room it's down to extremely unstable and low GPRS.
I wish I could build a DIY solution but that's probably too impossible and the real things aren't cheap as well...

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Half-Life_4_Life View Post
I wish I could build a DIY solution but that's probably too impossible and the real things aren't cheap as well...
You could try a passive repeater; build a highly directional antenna, place it on the roof where you have a clear view of the BTS and run a cable down to your room where you put a small antenna.
Near the downstairs antenna you should have better reception

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ranbaxy View Post
I stay just outside a highly secured defence area (inside where they use signal jammers) which makes it impossible for mobile phones outside the campus (too) to capture the signal. The jammer is located almost 500 m away from my house, inside a walled compound, but the signal strength inside my room fluctuates too. Sometimes it shows full strength, and the very next moment, it says no signal. Is there anything which I can do about this? If I go two rooms inside and close all the doors, the phone regains signal Anyone know how to make a home made anti signal jammer or something like that?
Complain to your operator. They might be able to do something about it. Otherwise cancel contract and/or switch to another one. Which country is this anyway?

In civilized countries there are laws and regulations about EM interference. Don't know about the US though.

^ I live in India. Didn't try contacting the operator, will do it But I am not sure whether the operator would increase the cell power just to cater my requirement. It might have other side effects too. I've recently moved to a new house and (un)fortunately I've changed my operator on the same day But I think all operators face this issue - that's what I came to know from the neighbours.

Last edited by ranbaxy; 2014-04-04 at 09:53.

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by ranbaxy View Post
^ I live in India. Didn't try contacting the operator, will do it But I am not sure whether the operator would increase the cell power just to cater my requirement. It might have other side effects too. I've recently moved to a new house and (un)fortunately I've changed my operator on the same day But I think all operators face this issue - that's what I came to know from the neighbours.
buddy you seem out of luck your first bet is to contact the operater then check other operater and get some expert openions lastly use expensive signal repeter connected to highly directional anteena keeping in mind you dont upset their jamming coverage and should be limited to your own house or they gona go crazy if somehow you manage to override their signals in their area:

Update - Contacted the operator and they said they can resolve this issue only within 1.5 months The MNP (Mobile Number Portability) rules say that I can't port my number within 3 months from my previous porting. But my current operator, knowing my situation asked me to contact the nearest outlet to enable porting again (to another network) - which would be my only option left as I can't live with this poor signal strength for another month.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Half-Life_4_Life View Post
I have problems with signal as well. Well, most of my street anyways. I'm located in a valley basically so the signal that travels from 2kms away actually bounces off the hills and some of it goes into my house's roof.
When I'm in the attic I have almost full 3.5G signal but when I'm in my room it's down to extremely unstable and low GPRS.

We have exactly the same problem, maybe we live in the same street