Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

OK. Now this may sound crazy but how about starting a crowd funding like Ubuntu did on Indiegogo. This may be insane at first but with this we could gain more attention from people about this project.

The Following User Says Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
OK. Now this may sound crazy but how about starting a crowd funding like Ubuntu did on Indiegogo. This may be insane at first but with this we could gain more attention from people about this project.
Firstly we need a functional device. After that, KickStarter/IndieGoGo campaign is good idea. It could be usefull to kick price down.
(See post #5)

Now, lets start #hashtagstorm about #neo900 on Twitter, G+ and FB. The progress now is, that joerg_rw and guy(s) from openmoko community, are working on working example of this device

Let them some time

Last edited by lexik; 2013-08-27 at 09:13.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lexik For This Useful Post:
i like the idea, i'm just not sure it's enough at the moment.

I understand keeping OMAP3 will help make porting easier. I just think if I was gonna be shelling out over €700 I would expect better specs and a more future ready device. i understand number of units dictate price, but on a lower income it's not something i can commit to in its current state.

I would like to think of this as a starting point, to work out what needs rewriting, to work on hw abstraction. should this be possible, porting to a newer platform would be easier. this is then the point i would be willing to commit that sort of cash.

If you were taking a Jolla like approach using libhybris to port to something like and S4 google play edition to churn out a current high spec device i could live with that price knowing if the project failed there was a fully working os i could flash to it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
port maemo to other devices man.
512 ram, old resistive touch ain't gonna work and it wont be able to fight other high end devices.

Posts: 661 | Thanked: 1,625 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Croatia,Zagreb
Now that's what I want as a new phone!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Half-Life_4_Life For This Useful Post:
The n900 is by far the best smart phone.
With the neo900 it has again a future.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gerdich For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by hardy_magnus View Post
port maemo to other devices man.
512 ram, old resistive touch ain't gonna work and it wont be able to fight other high end devices.
The neo900 is not the phone for folk wanting high-end. It's for those who want Maemo Fre(e)mantle.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Give somebody an inch and he'll take a mile I think this project's goal is not to provide a high-end device, nor complete with current high-end devices. And for sure not using some keyboardless crap as a device to run Maemo on. Neither some closed architecture (libhybris, deformated Android kernel, etc.), I want my device to be open enough for me to be able to have a look on its insides and know that it does only what it says it does (:wink wink: I don't trust Android, if you know what I mean).

As far as I'm concerned, Fremantle is far better than Harmattan, so using it as a software base is great. Also the N900's form factor is much better than N9's or slim keyless android phones. I see your project as a chance to make our devices live a few years longer. I find these specs sufficient enough for me for the next few years. I don't need quad-core beast only to overload it with dalvik vm crap. I will be unspeakably happy to be able to buy the device which idea you sketched in the first post. In other words, count me in If it will be stable, relativelyopen and durable enough to serve me for a few years, I am willing to pay a good price for it, better than for any other phone on the market. Even if it won't be high end.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by misiak View Post
Give somebody an inch and he'll take a mile I think this project's goal is not to provide a high-end device, nor complete with current high-end devices. And for sure not using some keyboardless crap as a device to run Maemo on. Neither some closed architecture (libhybris, deformated Android kernel, etc.), I want my device to be open enough for me to be able to have a look on its insides and know that it does only what it says it does (:wink wink: I don't trust Android, if you know what I mean).

As far as I'm concerned, Fremantle is far better than Harmattan, so using it as a software base is great. Also the N900's form factor is much better than N9's or slim keyless android phones. I see your project as a chance to make our devices live a few years longer. I find these specs sufficient enough for me for the next few years. I don't need quad-core beast only to overload it with dalvik vm crap. I will be unspeakably happy to be able to buy the device which idea you sketched in the first post. In other words, count me in If it will be stable, relativelyopen and durable enough to serve me for a few years, I am willing to pay a good price for it, better than for any other phone on the market. Even if it won't be high end.
hybris ain't non-free https://github.com/libhybris/libhybris

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
hybris ain't non-free https://github.com/libhybris/libhybris
I know, and praise its creator for doing such useful piece of software, but as far as my personal preferences for a mobile device are concerned, I think of it as a cancer which popularizes incorporating closed Android blobs into Linux ecosystem which might fool unaware observer into thinking he's running real full Linux. Don't get me wrong, I'm far from RMS approach, but if we're talking about upgrading a Linux device, let's make it a Linux device (with Linux kernel, libraries, etc., only some drivers closed, but pure Linux drivers), not closed Android base with some Linux userland. It's like compiling Debian for Android kernel on aPad WM8650 and saying it's still Debian (it's not, it's Android with some Debian software on top of its stack). These are my personal oppinions, and I still want to emphasize my respect for autor of libhybris, as in many cases it may be useful and for many people it may be sufficient

Edit: and libhybris was just given as an example in my previous post, as an element of the whole stuck of software which can be used to run Linux environment on Android kernel, nothing personal agains that project

Last edited by misiak; 2013-08-27 at 11:04.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!