Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by maegon9y00 View Post
Having 720x1440 pixels within a 5.7” screen has the benefits of clear pictures and 2:1 square pixel ratio.
The same is true for a 1:1 pixel ratio. So this doesn't count as an argument for the 2:1 ratio.

Also, higher resolutions would have a higher heat dissipation and increased power usage since more pixels need to be moved around so we are purposefully reducing the heat dissipation and power consumption.
With all due respect, I believe that's a made-up argument that one of your tech guys mentioned as a joke during lunch while the PR guy he was sharing his lunch with thought it would make for a great "tech-sounding" excuse.

Of course, more pixels will need more computation power, and hence, produce more heat. That's basic thermodynamics.
But unless you intend to decode videos in software I would assume, that the effect whether the GPU has to compute 1 million pixels or 260000 pixels is negligible.
I would even claim, you can't even measure the difference, because the effect is dwarfed by measuring inaccuracies of your thermometers and fluctuations in ambient temperatures. If I'm wrong and you can do that, I'd like to see the data.

I think it's much more likely, that you tried Gnome (and probably KDE) at the native resolution and saw that all the controls are too small for fingers.
Then you looked for an easy way to scale the controls up without making the rest look ugly. You found Gnome's scaling option and saw that it produced nice-looking results.
This was probably the point where you decided to anounce that you'd rather go with Gnome instead of KDE.

It's the path of least resistance and I don't blame you for going it. But please, cut the PR crap!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Are we sure that GPU can even render everything in that resolution? One certain manufacturer that makes SOCs for Android TV is well known for underpowered GPUs that can't render UI at native resolution so TVs have to do upscaling.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 307 times | Joined on Jan 2015 @ Argentina
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
The same is true for a 1:1 pixel ratio. So this doesn't count as an argument for the 2:1 ratio.

With all due respect, I believe that's a made-up argument that one of your tech guys mentioned as a joke during lunch while the PR guy he was sharing his lunch with thought it would make for a great "tech-sounding" excuse.

Of course, more pixels will need more computation power, and hence, produce more heat. That's basic thermodynamics.
But unless you intend to decode videos in software I would assume, that the effect whether the GPU has to compute 1 million pixels or 260000 pixels is negligible.
I would even claim, you can't even measure the difference, because the effect is dwarfed by measuring inaccuracies of your thermometers and fluctuations in ambient temperatures. If I'm wrong and you can do that, I'd like to see the data.

I think it's much more likely, that you tried Gnome (and probably KDE) at the native resolution and saw that all the controls are too small for fingers.
Then you looked for an easy way to scale the controls up without making the rest look ugly. You found Gnome's scaling option and saw that it produced nice-looking results.
This was probably the point where you decided to anounce that you'd rather go with Gnome instead of KDE.

It's the path of least resistance and I don't blame you for going it. But please, cut the PR crap!
With my usual respect,

You are welcome like everyone here to express yourself
But
Your assumptions are just that. So please do not come with "cut the crap of public relations".

For the record. I'm not a PR guy or a PR guy friend. Don't go with that assumptions. Let me know if this is enough clear to you, so you don't go wrong again about your assumptions.

Anyone can look for GPU Benchmarcks and test by himself if it wants.

I am just sharing the site explanation. Period.

Have a good day.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maegon9y00 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
Are we sure that GPU can even render everything in that resolution?
The SoC is an i.MX 8M. [1] The internal display is almost certainly connected via DSI, via which the SoC could theoretically output 4k signals while it's supposed to be able to decode h.264 and h.265 at that resolution in 30 respectively 60 fps. [2]

It would barely notice the workload of outputting the largely static content of a desktop at 1440x720.

[1] https://puri.sm/posts/librem5-progress-report-3/
[2] https://www.nxp.com/products/process...rs:IMX8-SERIES

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
I am just sharing the site explanation.
Well, exactly that's the problem. This statement about reducing the desktop resolution for temperature reasons makes absolutely no sense.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
https://puri.sm/posts/librem5-progress-report-18/
=> Interesting point of view regarding branding on devices

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
https://puri.sm/posts/librem5-progress-report-18/
=> Interesting point of view regarding branding on devices
Probably not such a big deal for phones, especially if you use a case. However, while my case covers the brand name of phone (Huawei), it does not cover the brand name of camera on the phone (LEICA)..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Updated System Screen design and gesture details
mobile-shell-gestures.png

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Looks nice. Some elements of Sailfish, N9 and Pixel there.

Wonder how many folks here have ordered the Librem 5. I have.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 307 times | Joined on Jan 2015 @ Argentina
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Looks nice. Some elements of Sailfish, N9 and Pixel there.

Wonder how many folks here have ordered the Librem 5. I have.
I have ordered one [sort of].

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maegon9y00 For This Useful Post: