Active Topics

Well I merely echo'd 0 instead (using the physical keyboard, of course):

Code:
echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/omap2_mcspi.1/spi1.0/disable_ts
(note this requires root access, as does the disable command at the link posted by Wasmachinemann-NL above)

Last edited by chill; 2014-08-20 at 01:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to chill For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Returning to your original question: I came across http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=183

This modified version will give you 2, 12 or 25 brightness (on a scale of 0-225) on level 1 with the brightness app. At high brightness it should go to 0, but I could not reproduce that (maybe te lightsource was not strong enough). Other levels have fixed values (no more light sensor corrections, as not everyone liked it).

I have been playing with it, and created a version which will have a fixed brightness value of 2 on level 1. That is almost without backlight, but I have not been able to get it to value 0.

Perhaps you are interested in trying yourself, installation instructions in the referring post.
Attached Files
File Type: zip libfilter-brightness-als.so.zip (14.3 KB, 62 views)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Thanks a lot, although, I was aware of this one - honestly, never like the "no light sensor" things, as IMO, N900's light sensor and its Maemo implementation is working great, adjusting screen "just-as-required" with respect to user set brightness level (had contact with Galaxy Tab 3 7'' recently, and light sensor implementation in Android is *terrible* - usable only in dark room, which kinda defeats the purpose )

I think what I need is to modify SBA code to include a "sticky" button, that will apply your command from previous post and ensure it gets executed on screen lock/unlock. Will work on it "someday".

/Estel

// Edit

And to actually disable light meter *only* for 0-brightness check, as change in ambient light also triggers returning brightness value to "regular" setting, overwriting our echo'ed 0 :| Which mean, that stuff from that linked post may actually get handy, although it would be irritating to use modified library just for this purpose. Need more research if it's possible to temporary disable light meter without that?

BTW, en we're at it, any idea, what the "enable energy saving" from "display settings" (in control panel) is for? I don't see any difference, no matter if it's enabled or not.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2014-04-05 at 11:30.

It lowers backlight brightness if there's lots of dark colours on screen. It has different modes, accessible through /sys only, for movie, photo, etc

Probably does nothing on highest and lowest backlight setting.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 386 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands
And how does one re-enable the TS?

Sorry for the bump btw.

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
What about opening HW keyboard and type in terminal:
Code:
echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/omap2_mcspi.1/spi1.0/disable_ts
Sorry for noise

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
OK, here is my working solution now, based on Ade's tip and searching in various places:

Code:
mkdir /home/user/.disable-backlight
/usr/sbin/disable-backlight.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#Saving user's current choice of display blanking mode
gconftool -g /system/osso/dsm/display/inhibit_blank_mode > /home/user/.disable-backlight/dim

#Let's disable screen blanking, so it won't get "dimmed", resulting in backlight getting enabled again...
#Disabling dimming and keeping blanking would be better, but settings allow only the opposite situation :(
gconftool -s --type int /system/osso/dsm/display/inhibit_blank_mode 3

#Disabling ambient light sensor's influence on screen brightness, for a while...
sed -ie 's/brightness-als/brightness-simple/' /etc/mce/mce.ini
stop mce || exit 1
sleep 1
start mce || exit 1
sleep 2

#Saving current backlight value, and disable backlight completely
cat /sys/class/backlight/acx565akm/brightness > /home/user/.disable-backlight/brightness
echo 0 > /sys/class/backlight/acx565akm/brightness

#bye bye
exit 0
/usr/sbin/enable-backlight.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# Setting user's choice for dimming
DIM=$(cat /home/user/.disable-backlight/dim)
gconftool -s --type int /system/osso/dsm/display/inhibit_blank_mode $DIM

#Enabling ambient light sensor's influence on screen brightness, again...
sed -ie 's/brightness-simple/brightness-als/' /etc/mce/mce.ini
stop mce
sleep 1
start mce
sleep 2

#...and enabling initial backlight
BCL=$(cat /home/user/.disable-backlight/brightness)
echo $BCL > /sys/class/backlight/acx565akm/brightness

#bye bye
exit 0
Current limitation - it require setting screen to "never blank" (for example, via simple brightness applet), or, after given timeout, backlight will come back again (faded).

Also, side effect of starting mce is that device asks for lock code. No problem if someone doesn't use one (unwise), or doesn't use ambient light sensor (then it doesn't require restarting mce). Probably, won't be a problem with MCE replacement, after approriate feature request.

Now, I need to find how to disable screen blanking timeout from terminal (just like checkbox in simple brightness applet does).

Cheers,
/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2014-08-27 at 22:47.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elros34 For This Useful Post:
Thanks, the 2nd (undocumented) solution works great for this! I've updated scripts in last post, to show their new iteration.

Now, I only need to determine how to prevent opening/closing keyboard (or locking/unlocking device) from resetting backlight levels... Or, make it a feature request in mce replacement (why the hell opening/closing keyboard without dimming/locking screen even touches brightness in the first place?!).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
/us/sbin/disable-backlight.sh
/Estel
You mean "usr/sbin".

Also, the scripts need to be run as root.

One probably unintended consequence is that screen rotation doesn't work anymore.

Last edited by chill; 2014-08-26 at 22:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to chill For This Useful Post: