Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
I'd be just as clueless as you as to what to do here. Have you tried connecting to a PC.
Just wondering if it may be possible to re-flash using PCSuite.
That was the way Nokia intended us to flash/update the firmware of the N900.
Because the USB slot broke off (seems to be a recurring problem with N900) I can only access PCSuite with Bluetooth which is impossible right now. So i might need to pay to get the USB slot fixed and try to get the phone to communicate with the PC. Again, there are issues with N900 being found on with Windows 7 (I tried to install Flasher 3.5 on Windows 7 at no avail following instructions from http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=853044 but my computer still says it found an "unknown device"). I guess my best bet is to pay to get the USB fixed, find an XP or Vista computer and see if the N900 can be located on PCSuite to perform a flash/update.

I love the N900 but the USB slot was cheaply constructed and was always loose until it snapped off making me perform all of my activities and access PCSuite via Bluetooth.

Originally Posted by costa View Post
Happy new year everyone! This is my first post and had something terrible happen with the Nokia N900 phone.

Firstly I tried to resolve disappearing conversations and SMS text messages by following instructions from here (which i regretted since i created this problem):

http://www.parorrey.com/blog/technol...on-nokia-n900/

I tried this to delete the corrupted event database:

sudo gainroot
rm -rf /home/user/.rtcom-eventlogger/el-v1.db
killall rtcom-messaging-ui

Then i saw that may of my icons on the GUI were moved around. I restarted and then started getting boxes instead of text and "missing image" icons. Seemed the entire GUI was transformed into boxes. I tried to enable bluetooth (by figuring out which box icon was the bluetooth icon but when I did the phone made a buzzing noise and restarted.

My USB does not work so I tried to access the Nokia N900 via PC Suite via bluetooth but the device was not found (i have windows 7, 64bit).

All I want to do is save all my data (pics, address book, notes). However I can not access anything and the entire phone is dominated by boxes. When you try to press buttons the phone restarts.

Not sure what to do. How can I access the hard drive so I can save my data and obviously how do i reverse the phone to its previous state? I have not seen the problem anywhere so wondering if anyone can help?

Here are screenshots:

1) Enter PIN
2) Put in time/date
3) GUI
4) Pre-Bluetooth Screen
5) Enable Bluetooth screen

My USB X3 snapped off so I do not have USB (but i ordered part via Ebay). I have been using Bluetooth to move files around. However now I can not use Bluetooth (even though I enabled it miraculously) since PC Suite can not locate the device (is it because of Windows 7? is worked previously for me).

What is wrong with the phone and what can i do? Please help!
hi even i m also haveing same problem with my Nokia N900 have u solved your problem and how u solved it

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by mambo4u2000 View Post
hi even i m also haveing same problem with my Nokia N900 have u solved your problem and how u solved it
I got the missing conversations issue too (and alpha theme backgrounds, though nothing else from the theme is gone it has issues switching themes away/back to it), and my alarms don't make any noise since CSSU/Stable upgrade. I also have failed usb port (still have the socket) which am being more tempted to fix myself with my soldering iron using tips on this site; but dont want to brick it.

A clean cssu backupmenu or image would be awesome, if I could get hold of one to replace my currently just-annoyingly-broken cssu install.

I looked at my el-v1.db and there is none now; new text messages arrive and are shown in banner but never shown in the conversations list. I have backups I might try to restore - but wondering if CSSU does things differently or how it could have got lost on its own.

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
I fixed it! I also noticed that when using the terminal, sometimes when modifying files, I got "NFS" or Input/Output error messages appearing in the terminal from commands there, and after a while the phone was acting very weirdly with icons disappearing after desktop scrolls and some other weird stuff around apps/config/data/settings.

SO I was wondering if I had a broken file system (from the errors), so I started trying to create a new /home partition under MyDocs and I was going to loop mount this at boot so I could check/fix the original one using fsck in the terminal while it wasn't mounted (rather than just recreate from scratch somehow) - BackupMenu wouldn't run filesystem checks on that partition due to some major error when it tried.

But then after a reboot and having written some large archive files into MyDocs, and it rejecting my mounts in /etc/fstab (sorry for getting really techy and not explaining it all), ie. effectively no change.., it fixed itself! I restored a Backup app set of my calendar+contacts+messages and it all seems ok again. Still not perfect, but I'm happy for now... With desktop background images restored.

Semi-random theory so far: did an area of my MMC have errors/write problems? ie. writing lots of data to the disk and then deleting it put it past the problem area for the next data write and restore of backup? Or somehow in a reboot/not clean switch-off (battery comes out regularly to swap, due to broken usb; and the backup internal battery is dead), it corrupted the filesystem and then got fixed during a write/read somehow (cos a no-action fsck I ran to see what errors might exist did nothing but report some bad inodes/counts).

Last edited by jgbreezer; 2013-06-22 at 14:40.

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ California
Did you ever find a fix for the missing images? I have a similar problem. After trying to restore my device to out of the box settings with the firmware and eMMC flasher this happened to me. cmd promt told me it had finished flashing successfully but when it booted up all the images were missing just like in your photos.

I can't even navigate around in my phone. Did you find a good fix?

When flashing, it's important to follow the instructions, and not let phone boot in between the two images..

On first boot after flashing rootfs, many files are moved from the small rootfs to the emmc. If you then flash emmc, you erase those files.

I think just flashing rootfs without flashing emmc would fix it at this point.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post: