Posts: 100 | Thanked: 307 times | Joined on Jan 2015 @ Argentina
In the meantime, Purism it is reaching 1.7millions.

Purism, founded 2014, successfuly launched a crowdfunding campaign for the Librem 15 laptop. A second succesful campaign was made for Librem 13 laptop.

Rain start with drops and
All big brand had small beginnings

Will Purism become a robust brand?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purism,_SPC

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maegon9y00 For This Useful Post:
Seeing how Purism has already successfully manufactured a line of laptops before I perceive the Librem 5 project to be one of the more realistic initiatives to get a fully working Linux environment on a phone in a while.

Hardware wise I don't care that the phone will be slower than the newest flagships. I'm used to slow with both my N900 and Jolla 1. I suspect it will be faster than the Neo900 for example. As long as the interface runs smoothly and there's plenty of storage I'll be satisfied

Software wise I'm enthusiastic about both Gnome and KDE announcing they will try to adapt their software to work nicely on the Librem 5. How much of this can truly be realised in one year is the major question, especially seeing that development for KDE Plasma Mobile has been very slow for the last year or so. I guess I'm hoping that the Librem 5 will provide for a target device to build towards for both DE's and be a stimulus as such.

I've messed around with KDE Plasma Mobile on my Nexus 5 before, and I think it can be developed into something very nice. To name another positive example I currently have Arch linux with KDE Plsama 5 running on a Chinese tablet (the Cube i7 Book, might anyone be interested), where the touch interface works very nicely. I only needed to install a couple of extra packages to improve touch interpretation and handling and that's it. Supposedly Gnome 3 works even better out of the box. Seeing these two examples working already in practice, together with the fact that Purism will have about 1.5 to 2 million dollars at their disposal for the coming year makes me positive, overall.

I have to say find the discussion going on here (both pro's and con's mentioned) very interesting to read, especially the posts with actual new information about possible hardware and drivers for example

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
They also published some stretch goals, but they look a bit ambitious.
$4m = VoIP phone number, call-in, call-out features: what this means is that we need to reach the $4 million milestone to hire the Matrix team to implement calls to/from the POTS/PSTN, to complement the existing VoIP features.
$6m = Reverse engineering faster WiFi/Bluetooth firmware
$8m = Free encrypted VPN tunnel service for all backers for 1 year
$10m = Run Android applications in isolation on the Librem 5
Does the last one mean, they plan to run Android apps anyway but not completely isolated or they plan to run Android apps only if $10M are reached?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amboss For This Useful Post:
little ot, sorry

I'd rather wait for a "Lauta" phone from Chen...

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by catbus View Post
little ot, sorry

I'd rather wait for a "Lauta" phone from Chen...
Well, as a qwerty device it sure has its attraction but that is just about the one and only benefit point.

If the librem device has open drivers and separate blobless HW for baseband it will beat it hands down...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Amboss View Post
They also published some stretch goals, but they look a bit ambitious.
They do

Originally Posted by Amboss View Post
Does the last one mean, they plan to run Android apps anyway but not completely isolated or they plan to run Android apps only if $10M are reached?
As I've understood thus far: neither. The phone will run Linux with Gnome or KDE on top (or their own flavoured PureOS), nothing else. You could attempt to get emulators/virtual layers like Andbox running though No idea what the performance would be. I think gaming will be out of the question...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Anbox is not an emulator nor virtual layer. It's a container, but runs on the kernel and hardware of machine itself, much like how it runs on SailfishOS. Performance should be excellent.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Leuven/Belgium
did you hear, that Purism is connecting to Monero.. IMHO, that's a great

https://puri.sm/posts/purism-collabo...bile-payments/

Last edited by napaDokc; 2017-10-13 at 20:05. Reason: trying to post a link

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to napaDokc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Lack of support or longevity is a bad thing. And that is what exactly happens with these niche products usually.
What exactly is it that will be lacking support? Purism plan to mainline everything so it shouldn't matter how niche the product is. Linus' rule of "don't break userspace" means the longevity should far surpass that of Android devices or other devices driven by Android kernel forks (e.g. Jolla devices). It should be just like running any modern Linux distro on old hardware. Once supported, it should work forever.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
. We need to convince some big company that we're worth a damn.
inch by inch this is happening

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post: