WHAT-THE-F#CK.

Elop wins the European communication award (in part) for his burning platforms memo. The world is truly messed up :/
http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-ceo-ste...on-award-2013/

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Well, I can see why WMPoweruser might approve.

But do the EACD, who gave the award, really believe that Elop "always puts his employees and customers opinions first"?

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
something fishy is going on there....

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
What the hell? No way

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
European Communication Award 2013 powered by Nokia

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
Wow the comments there are all pretty much wp fanboy'ism!

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
Google is from the 90s
BB is what jolla wishes it had lol

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by bingomion View Post
Google is from the 90s
BB is what jolla wishes it had lol
1997 to be exact for Google. 1999 for BlackBerry but RIM was founded in 1984.

Jolla, they've yet to ship their first product, they were founded in 2011. But I'd be lying if I got your point.

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Worldwide
This is probably the 8239340493272229459th time Lamiaman saying the same bullsheeeets.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
LOL. "Android functionally comparable to Symbian" LOOOOOOOOOOOL. Hey, What did you smoke today. Dont you realize what happened. The Finns screwed up, they realized that Symbian was nose diving, they realized that only Third World is buying it and soon will be overrun by Samsung and Android, so they brought Elop to set a new course. The crash was coming with or without Elop. Elop came, saw that Meego, Harmattan was sheeet. I mean, since 2009 when N900 was released, Nokia has done nothing on it, and you can see it in N9, a giant step back from N900. That is a fact bud. Elop saw that in house coding is sheeeeet. So he had two choices: Android or WP. He took a risk, WP. He did what he was asked to do: got rid of crap Symbian, fired Jolla members for incompetence, and went where the third ecosystem was being built, hoping they will prosper. Its a direction with risk, but he went for it, and he was decisive. Whether this was right or wrong, will be played out. I think what NOKIA did was better than BB. BB waited too long in my opinion, while NOKIA made a faster decision to give up on dead OSs.
It is possible the crash was coming with or without Elop. It would be difficult for one person to 'destroy' the company so thoroughly.
I cannot say anything about N9-Harmattan being worse or better than N900-Fremantle. However, I can point out that N9's interface (Swype) was praised to the extent of being copied by BlackBerry (another 'sinking' company).
I agree that Windows Phone is better choice than Android. Not because Microsoft is better than Google, but because Android is already ubiquitous, and Windows Phone is 'exotic'. In other words, supporting Windows Phone allowed Nokia to stand out, which would have been impossible with Android.
However, they were not the only choices available. Tizen, Firefox OS, MeeGo... Nokia simply decided that it needs another company to shoulder the burden of software development and blame for its shortcomings. Do you notice how some people say that Lumia's hardware is excellent, and the faults are in software?
At the same time, Nokia City Lens and Nokia Drive are envy of other platforms. And cinemagraphs are notable. For me, they are eye-candy, unnecessary but respectable for the amount of work needed to make this 'A.I.' suit tastes of majority of the users.
I wouldn't say Jolla members are incompetent. I would say that their vision was so different from expectations of Nokia's managers that they hadn't done much for Nokia. However, after separation they were able to choose their direction themselves. And it seems that the more time they see ahead of themselves due to hardware manufacturers doubting Jolla, the more ideas they solidify into workable concepts.
Yes, it is possible that BlackBerry waited for too long, and introduced nothing new in their latest operating system. It's like browsers: they copy each other, in user interface and functionality, rarely daring to innovate for fear of scaring away their users.
However, I wouldn't say that MeeGo or Maemo are dead. Nemo is young, like a nova, and vague and unshaped like a nebula; there is much potential in it, in Mer in general.
Yet, I can understand how an outsider (first non-Finnish director of Nokia?) decided that in-house code isn't good enough for him. Not that I would ever use Windows Phone... I would rather try to install Mer on Lumia. But for that, I would need to get my hands on Lumia, first. And it can happen only accidentally, since I am not going to deliberately spend effort on getting hardware (even if it is considered good) without software.
Best wishes.