Active Topics

Poll: Nokia to release the Maemo Source Code.
Poll Options
Nokia to release the Maemo Source Code.

Closed Thread
Posts: 76 | Thanked: 87 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
The title of this thread is PETITION to Nokia to release the full source code of the Maemo OS to this Community and now we have a full blown MeeGo discussion going on here so may i remind everyone to please stay on topic?..
Sorry I thought we were discussing you requesting a developer to illegally release code... or are you once again avoiding criticism? Oh, right.

The Following User Says Thank You to ScottishDuck For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
I am going to make a formal request here to stskeeps to PLEASE open up his own thread to talk about MeeGo because it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Please read my opening post on this thread and you will see not one word of MeeGo in that post and as the topic is about the release of Maemo code just what has MeeGo got to do with it?.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
There's no way but the official route. Are you asking me to breach my contract and do criminal activities, opening myself to civil suit for damages and criminal prosecution?

Are you stupid?
Stskeeps.

Here are some questions on my behalf. I don't expect you to answer them if the answers can bring you to bad legal situation or financial loss.

1. Is there any complete list of all OSS licenses used among the program (770, 800, 810, 900)?

2. Do you know how some of these licenses were circumvented?

3. Are there any parts of your contract that forbid you to talk about above questions and/or this question?

The Following User Says Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
The title of this thread is PETITION to Nokia to release the full source code of the Maemo OS to this Community and now we have a full blown MeeGo discussion going on here so may i remind everyone to please stay on topic?..
good work abill_uk, thats the reason I am always repeating 770, 800, 810, 900, just not to forget anything.

The Following User Says Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
Stskeeps.

Here are some questions on my behalf. I don't expect you to answer them if the answers can bring you to bad legal situation or financial loss.

1. Is there any complete list of all OSS licenses used among the program (770, 800, 810, 900)?

3. Are there any parts of your contract that forbid you to talk about above questions and/or this question?
Your points are very worthwhile and the comments coming out of stskeeps are only proving he wants nothing whatsoever to do with the Maemo os and supports that by the breaking the law statement he has made.

Many things are coming out of the woodwork here and for those who think i am asking stupid questions need to realise there is more than one way the cookie crumbles and to get TRUE opinions from someone you have to go to some lengths sometimes !, please realise that before making attacking comments.

PS i am anything but stupid trust me !.

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 87 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Scotland
I am going to make a formal request here to stskeeps to PLEASE open up his own thread to talk about MeeGo because it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Please read my opening post on this thread and you will see not one word of MeeGo in that post and as the topic is about the release of Maemo code just what has MeeGo got to do with it?.
I'll reiterate. You asked Stskeeps to illegally release code. This was nothing to do with meego. It was to do with driver code that is also part of maemo being illegally released. You have yet to address why you thought that was in any way appropriate.

Stskeeps is not distancing himself from maemo by denying your request that he break the law. He is distancing himself from an idiot.

Last edited by ScottishDuck; 2011-06-02 at 07:40.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScottishDuck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Of course I have the repos enabled, it is a part of scratchbox installation . opengles-img-sgx-dev (and others) are just missing those headers.

My point is - if there is some legal violation not including headers needed to build SGX xorg driver it could be a start point to contact Nokia asking to release at least what should be released. Not talking about legal actions or so. But once communication channel established it could ease further requests.

EDIT: Wil you answer my question re SGX SDK license, please?
There's no legal violation in that you can't build it, as MIT/X11 doesn't state those kind of demands.

SGX SDK license is nasty for Maemo5 (== nokia-binaries EULA). It was first afterwards that you could get redistributable binaries of SGX libraries from TI.

Out of curiousity, what did you want to modify?

The MeeGo ones are more liberally licensed and if you want to do anything serious. The downside is of course that these need Xorg 1.9.0 and other things for that.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
THANKYOU Texrat !.

Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
Stskeeps.

It's Debian, go look at debian/copyright for the packages that are OS'ed.

Circumvented? Please read up on the licensing texts in particular - I think you might have a bit of overinterpretation of how FOSS licenses actually work. Just because there's one GPL component it doesn't mean everything has to be OSS.

Nokia's honestly very good at checking these things.

Forbid? All this is public information, go look at repository.maemo.org.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Dude, you started by saying MeeGo wasn't open, I answered. I even pointed this fact out in my own post.

You can't expect your baseless claims to be unanswered

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
current, daddys ketchup, flog dead horse, give him, just shoot me, must not say no, no argue ok, play nice, situation, yes or highway