Notices

Telegram would be good too

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lemon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 91 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Kula, Serbia
A proper Telegram app would be an excelent thing indeed.

The Following User Says Thank You to branja For This Useful Post:
Sure thing. And your efforts are certainly appreciated ceene!

Hi ceene, I see a update in yowsup repos, is it useful for us ?

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Malawi
Originally Posted by ceene View Post
Hi...

Some bad news today

I've been banned once again, this time using a number of KotCzarny. I've already got a few more offers to use other people's numbers, so development is not completely shut down... yet.

Thing is, I'm not still able to send/receive encrypted messages, which are now mandatory, and I get banned very very frequently. This time I didn't even use this phone number for a week and on today's login I've been banned.

So... I'm not giving up yet, but things are starting to look very bad, as much as it hurts me to say it. Even if I get messaging to work properly, I don't know why I'm getting banned, so a Yappari version that lets you use your number for a week and then gets you banned is probably worse that no Yappari at all.

I'm thinking about a Telegram version of Yappari, but I won't start designing that until I completely give up on Whatsapp, as that would split my already limited time on two projects at once, but just wanted to let you know that I will do everything I can to get you guys an instant messaging system that works... somehow, even if on limited form.
I think its better we move on to telegram this whatsapp is becoming boring. If we can have a yappari as usual but inside it is telegram that can be an achievement. The good thing is its open source I think it wouldnt take you long to make it work. Now whatsapp is banning other chinese phones running android its not only N900 and it will get worse. So why dont we move to something else.
Many thanks for your work, May God give you the knowledge to comeup with something. I appreciate your work.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to canary7 For This Useful Post:
How about something fully open this time, so that we don't go through the same story again? Telegram is better than WhatsApp because at least the protocol is open, but it still depends on servers run by a single entity...

I've recently been looking at http://matrix.org, and it looks like it could fit the bill. It's fully open, it is based on federation ("like email" -- anyone can choose whichever server they want to work with -- including their own -- and the servers can all talk to each other) so there's no single point of failure. And the team working on it seems to be serious, my impression is that they've got a lot of things right...

It's still in development, though there are already a bunch of quite mature implementations for various platforms (Web, Android, iOS, ...); nothing for n900 yet, though, that I know of, which is where this thread fits in...

It's such a shame to see all of the great work that ceene (and others) have put into yappari, only to be blocked by the whims of the single controlling entity. Wouldn't it be great if that effort instead went into something truly open, that can't be "taken away"...?

Other options are tox or ring.cx, but I think matrix.org maps better to the model of WhatsApp (I mean, Yappari), because it is based around "rooms" (= groups) that are managed by a central server (one that you can choose, or run yourself, but there's still a server somewhere) which contains the full history and allows different devices to sync up the history; as opposed to tox and ring.cx, which are true peer-to-peer (which has some advantages, but also raises problems in terms of connecting from multiple devices, and also doesn't map perfectly to the model of groups).

Of course, with any of these, there's the problem of "but nobody uses it!". Well, something that everyone uses, but that we can't access, isn't much help either... So either way we're going to have to try to pull our contacts into another network; that network might as well be one that's as open as possible...

So, ceene, if you (or anyone else, for that matter) are listening to any of this chatter by all us backseat drivers, my vote would definitely be to go with matrix.org...

my 2c

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by dovf View Post
Of course, with any of these, there's the problem of "but nobody uses it!".
Yes, that's actually quite good argument when not everybody can just change their messaging app just because their contacts won't use it... :|

A wild idea would be that some new alternative app could communicate with other messaging platforms via central server that does all protocol conversions etc. (this could work with in-app plugins too, no need for conversion server).
So at the start the app would only support Telegram and support for WA is added to the plugins/server later.

Posts: 88 | Thanked: 411 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ southern Italy
IMHO people using Yappari only wanted whatsapp compatibility.

Having Telegram is useless when all of your contacts only use Whatsapp.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alfmar For This Useful Post:
Hi to all, and Telegram work already on N900 with Pigdin and extra plugin...Miss whatsapp !!!!

Hope you find the way to !

regard's

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hdmailx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by alfmar View Post
IMHO people using Yappari only wanted whatsapp compatibility.

Having Telegram is useless when all of your contacts only use Whatsapp.
That's the thing. Agree. In my (maybe very personal) case all the contacts use whatsapp only. So for me (once again, personally) having nothing and having Telegram or whatever the guys are talking above is similar. Zero, no use...

The Following User Says Thank You to bmxerv For This Useful Post:

Tags
whatsapp, yappari