What I'd like -
VOIP number, that rings both my home and mobile
Mobile number, that rings my mobile
N900 that can make calls using both systems
Home phone that can make calls using VOIP over my home wifi

There are probably some people who would prefer just -
VOIP number, that rings both house and N900
Data package from mobile carrier

All of this is technologically possible on the current system, but anyone found a solution? Only thing I can think of is a Skype number for your house, and get a wifi router that will handle this with wifi/ethernet handsets which is great until your house burns down and you find out you can't call emergency numbers from skype

Any ideas?

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oxford
In addition, I've noticed Vonage is now doing vonage mobile - spot whats missing though!
http://www.vonagemobile.com/phones.html

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
This thread will be moved as soon as I found the place where to put this...

for your question:

I have a single phone at home which could do landlines and VoIP (Siemens Gigaset, DECT, chargers are seperate from base, AM), it does VoIP only atm as I don't have landlines... what the N900 is capable of you know already. A land-line-number from the US, one from Germany and two direct VoIP addresses are ringing at home so far...

so what you need is a phone at home that can do what you like to have! I suggest... buy one!

And there is GoogleVoice, still beta, still USA-only but it works...

Last edited by chemist; 2010-01-14 at 17:08.

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
not to forget my VoIP provider forwards emergency calls to locals

moved to off-topic as it doesn't fit any TMO forums

Originally Posted by chemist View Post
This thread will be moved as soon as I found the place where to put this...
Fair enough - its kind of a UK specific problem!

for your question:

I have a single phone at home which could do landlines and VoIP (Siemens Gigaset), it does VoIP only atm as I don't have landlines... what the N900 is capable of you know already. A land-line-number from the US, one from Germany and two direct VoIP addresses are ringing at home so far...
But will your VoIP numbers ring your N900?
There are two aspects - firstly, when I'm at home I'd like my N900 to act as a VoIP phone using my wifi network, which as far as I know isn't possible, hence this thread is in brainstorm.
Secondly, when I'm not at home I'd still like my N900 to ring for my VoIP number if it has the appropriate connection. This is more of a VoIP provider problem in the UK, but it's still a problem

Originally Posted by chrismint View Post
My current phone setup is as follows -
Home number, through Virgin package
Mobile number, through Orange, on an N900

What I'd like -
VOIP number, that rings both my home and mobile
Mobile number, that rings my mobile
N900 that can make calls using both systems
Home phone that can make calls using VOIP over my home wifi

There are probably some people who would prefer just -
VOIP number, that rings both house and N900
Data package from mobile carrier

All of this is technologically possible on the current system, but anyone found a solution? Only thing I can think of is a Skype number for your house, and get a wifi router that will handle this with wifi/ethernet handsets which is great until your house burns down and you find out you can't call emergency numbers from skype

Any ideas?
What you need is a VoIP service which supports "Ring Blast". Both Vonage and Google Voice will do this for you...however I'm sure there are others which will do the same. You may need to research "PBX service" for your area. This will allow calls to one central number, to ring multiple numbers simultaneously.

From there, you need a VoIP/SIP provider who will provide you your SIP settings for configuration on your own device(s) (ATA for your home, softphone software for PC, or SIP client on cell). Callcentric.com is one company for example. Vonage will not provide this information, regardless of which account you have with them, though there are methods of negotiating around their security on the web.

In a nutshell, if you can't find a provider that will support "ring blast", and now that I think about it, I don't know if GVoice will ring multiple numbers simultaneously or "in order" (called ring lists). but what you could do is:

1. Setup Google Voice (or home VoIP service if ring blast support offered) account to ring home number and cell number when unique Google Voice number is dialed

2. Setup home VoIP service (callcentric for example) with an ATA/Router

3. Setup SIP client on 900 with (callcentric) SIP settings

What you are trying to accomplish is easily acheived, and basically what I am trying to do. My only issues are with Vonage not providing SIP settings, so I'm shopping SIP providers. Its just a question of finding a SIP provider who offers "Ring Blast" or "Ring Lists", whichever will work for you. You just want to make sure you don't have too many "Points of failure" involved.

Last edited by colnago; 2010-01-14 at 17:16.

bugger my last post- I've just found out about SIP and voip.co.uk!

glad to hear this! and yes my n900 will ring all numbers and voip-accounts I actively have! Plus Skype Msn etc. my phone at home rings for voice and shows xmpp messages, has an online phonebook looking up the name for unknown numbers calling me and so on (the list is endless).

Not to mention that my SIP provider offers prepaid without monthly fees and geographical number. for the US I got it in another way but for free as well.

Last edited by chemist; 2010-01-14 at 18:34.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Though we have to wait for telepathy-sofiasip 0.5.19-0maemo3, somewhere in or before PR1.2 to get a proper sip working (Bug#: 6936), the other party might not hear you well or at all.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal