newsbot | Posts: 94 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2005
[LINK: /content/view/175/2/] As promised, Nokia announces today the 2006
OS update adding Google Talk(TM), a full screen finger keyboard, improved
memory performance, and new refreshed look. Additional applets have also
been added for faster access to internet services.

The newly added Goolge Talk application will let Nokia 770 users chat and
talk wirelessly with family, friends, and co-workers for free, via the
Google Talk network as well as instant message other people on the
Jabber/XMPP network.

Nokia 770 users can now set the stylus aside and type with their fingers
with the new full screen keyboard. This will enable faster typing and a
better chatting experience.

New themes have been...
Read the full article.

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Philadelphia, PA
Any word on whether the Opera browser will see an update to better support AJAX heavy sites like Google Reader and Google Calendar? That would be particularly awesome, especially if they include better flash support so the thing could handle Google Video. I guess one thing at a time...since they didn't mention anything like that in the press release I'm not keeping my fingers crossed. The new look is hot though!

full screen keyboard? the current layout already takes half the screen.

Sweet! So I don't have to return the 770 I just bought. I was getting nervous there for a bit. Did they say anything about a hardware change in the newer ones that come shipped with the 2006 OS?

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
artman: Yes and no. In the webcast press conference Andrew Flegg posted, a reporter asked about the next generation of hardware. The response was along the lines of "we're always developing the next generation but it won't be out for a while until it reaches maturity". We're fine for now.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by jayholler
Any word on whether the Opera browser will see an update to better support AJAX heavy sites like Google Reader and Google Calendar? That would be particularly awesome, especially if they include better flash support so the thing could handle Google Video. I guess one thing at a time...since they didn't mention anything like that in the press release I'm not keeping my fingers crossed. The new look is hot though!
They did mention that it's opera 8. I wouldn't hold my breath on the flash 8 support though (and thus google video). Maybe that the new opera will be able to process google cal and reader (and notepad) though.

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted by c_legaspi
full screen keyboard? the current layout already takes half the screen.
Too true. Plus, I avoid touching skin to screen like the plague. I can't see how a full screen KB would work for me at all. Very strange.

im trying to decide if i should upgrade or not. I think this version i actually will. I have the original version that came with my 770 beacuse i dont want to lose all of the apps i have accumulated. But this new release should be nice!

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Any word on the audio hardware, will this work from the small hole on bottom of 770 or will there be bluetooth headset needed.

My screen inputs work fine, I agree, full screen keyboard for use with fingers, hmmm

2nd Quarter 2006 isn't that now, so is that by the end of June, 1.5 months max, do you think it will actually happen?

Not sure how they can call that look refreshed... It looks like a bad website from the late 80s. Those beveled edges are horrid. Why waste such a small screen with those thick borders? I hope themes become easier to create...

Looked at the images again, SERIOUSLY! They're extremely thick and why does a popup menu need such thick borders???

Last edited by neps; 2006-05-16 at 14:13.