Poll: Are you going to buy the "870" when it is released?
Poll Options
Are you going to buy the "870" when it is released?

I rather like the design, and it's not just because of my age. While I appreciate black, I've seen silver done well too and I think this is a good example of it. The retro look is a bit more refreshing and while the design is a bit more rounded, I think that's an advantage. Don't get me wrong, I like the design on the 770, but I think it's just a bit too boxy and bleah. Very straightforward cut and dry. While this may be fine for the business people, it's just dull. Kind of like comparing an Element to a Focus. One looks like a box, and one has some much more interesting curves to give the design a little something more. If cars can have curves, why do hand helds and computers have to be boxes to be considered "professional"?

The increase in processor speed is something I'm looking foward to. While the webcam may seem silly, it would still be good for snapping quick pics while you're out, as I hope you will be out and about with this highly portable device.

As far as the case that they're claiming it comes with, I think everyone would be really happy if it was something similar to the leather case already out for the 770. That would have the fold over cover to protect the screen as well as give you silver-haters a black cover to hide behind. If they could fashion a case (though it would be a bit more complex) that would allow you to use that included stand while keeping it in the case, it would be brilliant! On that note, I really like the included stand as well, as that's a lot easier to use than the little plastic stand that came with the 770. One less thing to carry around at least as it will be built onto the device.

I'm happy it's not a complete redesign of a great device and while they're changing some of the design features on the outside, a lot of the stuff on the inside is only being upgraded, the OS included.

And guys, let's not forget the most important thing here. Nokia is coming out with a SECOND INTERNET TABLET. After the first one, no one was really sure if the market was going to hold and be worth following up on. Even if it's not called the 870, it has been confirmed that it's an internet tablet following the foundation of the 770 and continuing the OS that we've all come to love. What this means is that there's now a solid market for these, or enough of a solid market to Nokia, to keep producing them! This is wonderful news! So if you hate the design or don't want to upgrade now, at least be happy that when you DO want to upgrade, there's a strong chance that there will be internet tablets to choose from.

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
Originally Posted by orbitalcomp
Yeah, that's true...it just takes forever for open source solutions to happen, especially on a niche product like the 770. The thing has been out over a year now, so if there are still incompatibilities, they more than likely will not be addressed...
I think the opposite, to me most open source projects develop quicker than closed source. There are some technologies that have been developed on Linux that are only just coming to MS platforms. I reckon its the closed elements that are the root of any opensouce delays, Adobe with flash, NDA only hardware info required for video etc.

Originally Posted by Salidwyn
...give you silver-haters a black cover to hide behind. .
Silver/Metal(ic) is fine, but black plastic, which has been painted with silver color (that comes off after a couple of months of heavy use) to look like a Mac is really quite pathetic looking in my opinion.

I could careless about the 870 at this point, until we have more info. The most important thing is, it shouldn't have WSOD. If it still had WSOD problem, I don't care how good/cheap the 870 is, I won't get it.

Originally Posted by cybe
Silver/Metal(ic) is fine, but black plastic, which has been painted with silver color (that comes off after a couple of months of heavy use) to look like a Mac is really quite pathetic looking in my opinion.
It might be a piece of pressed anodised aluminium like the current 770 cover. In which case that would add some tactile value to the product.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by cybe
Buzz! Wrong assumption. Try again!

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
Interesting. So there's a possibility that what looks like gray and silver plastic could in fact be metal.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Originally Posted by =DC=
Interesting. So there's a possibility that what looks like gray and silver plastic could in fact be metal.
I love it when thinking escapes the box.

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
If that's thinking outside the box, then this is running circles around the box mocking everything inside.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Hmmm... that sort of conjecture makes me think the writer has had his hands on one.