Active Topics

i want to use my n800 as an mp3 player, which program is the best and more comfortable if i have hundreds of mp3s.

thanks

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Midwest
1. Canola - easiest and very stable player
2. Kagu - nice kinetic scrolling (like the iTouch) but crashes alot
3. UKMP - my favorite player IMHO, sometimes it freezes

I am sorry to say this, and I am sure almost everyone might disagree with me, but I find the default media player that comes with N800 to be the best one. It will the perfect one for me if only it supported creating playlists and remembering my preference of "Repeat" and "Shuffle" settings between sessions.

Canola is probably the second best player but it doesn't support creating playlists either, and I couldn't find the 'repeat' or 'shuffle' option if it is there at all. I was also not able to play media streamed through TVersity server in Canola though it played fine in the default media player, but I am in the minority here because lots of people on the Internet have confirmed that Canola plays shared media quite well.

The above two can play both audio and video files. I might be using older versions of the above players, so if have made a mistake, I am sure somebody will correct me.

UKMP and Kagu are Audio-only. Both have horrible user interface(except kinetic scrolling) if you ask me but many people seem to like it. UKMP takes forever to load on my tablet and I can't uninstall it without attempting several times and can't install a new version without uninstalling the older one.

I find these two players to be in a complete mess at this time but both look so damn good that I keep wasting many hours in trying to sort out their issues

I end up using Kilikali most of the time for the simple reason that it has the BEST support for creating and using the playlists.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
Being a bit of a Linux old foggee (I think of myself as a purest) I really get into using xmms. It just does what I ask, no more no less.

Originally Posted by efb View Post
I am sorry to say this, and I am sure almost everyone might disagree with me, but I find the default media player that comes with N800 to be the best one.
[...]
Canola is probably the second best player
[...]
UKMP and Kagu are Audio-only. Both have horrible user interface(except kinetic scrolling) if you ask me but many people seem to like it. UKMP takes forever to load on my tablet and I can't uninstall it without attempting several times and can't install a new version without uninstalling the older one.
I kind of agree with you. Even though UKMP and Kagu look good, I think once you have more than a few dozen albums, their usability dramatically drops. Plus they are written in python... Heavy, slow to load... Think Sun Java on windows machine, and you'll know why it is better to stay away from python; which incidentally makes me very worried about the new version of Canola.

I wish there was a simple directory based player, which only does music, fast, efficiently, and well. Enough of those tag based classifications.

The Following User Says Thank You to arman68 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by arman68 View Post
I kind of agree with you...

...I wish there was a simple directory based player, which only does music, fast, efficiently, and well. Enough of those tag based classifications.
Yup. An Irfan View for the N***'s, if you will.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Another vote for the default media player. It does what you want and is nice and simple.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by linuxrebel View Post
Being a bit of a Linux old foggee (I think of myself as a purest) I really get into using xmms. It just does what I ask, no more no less.
Let it go. The code is filled with bugs and security holes all over the place.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
I agree, the default media player is plain, boring interface but efficient. Canola is my second; awesome interface, but I have found some weird things, maybe in next releases will be fixed. p.e., I don't know why you don't have in each screen a close button and minimize button, I mean you have to go back over and over to exit the program...Maybe I'm missing something, but did'nt found that option. But I love Canola for Podcast listening.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
I vote for the default player, but it would be nice for it to use the kinetic scrolling from the Miaouw library and some album art. Otherwise it does a lot from a simple interface.