Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
WebOS devices are discontinued. I'm willing to bet that HP is trying to figure out a way to get the WebOS operating system to be more approachable for either licensing or selling it. They have 1.2 Billion USD to recoup from just last year.

Licensing needs to be more attractive. But as it stands, there's more OS's our there with better penetration, SDK's, applications, user perception (user's are happy to use that OS for whatever features they consider enjoyable) and better supported.

If they talk purchasing, then who? Accenture has Symbian - that future is cloudy. Nokia doesn't need a new OS - don't argue that point. Google has Android. Microsoft has WP7, WP8 is around the corner. Samsung is using Bada, WP7 and Android. LG is a wildcard, they've had a version of MeeGo before, they've used WP7, they're also using Android. HTC? They're all in with Android and WP7. Motorola? Their success with Android and their patent holdings got them bought by Google.

So who would honestly want WebOS? Sony Ericsson?

What of Ari Jaaksi? Will his part in making WebOS more attractive to other vendors... but who's looking for an OS now? I can't think of anybody personally.

WebOS has become the new BeOS. Loved by those that used it, has a few innovative pieces that folks will cherish for possibly years to come, ultimately has no suitor but might live on via other directives (Haiku, BeBits, etc.) but not as a key player.

Yeah. Looking like the end.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Let's get Jaaksi to Apple next!
aahhhhhhhwwwwwww-----meeeeeeen!

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 321 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland (Turku)
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
If they talk purchasing, then who? Accenture has Symbian - that future is cloudy. Nokia doesn't need a new OS - don't argue that point. Google has Android. Microsoft has WP7, WP8 is around the corner. Samsung is using Bada, WP7 and Android. LG is a wildcard, they've had a version of MeeGo before, they've used WP7, they're also using Android. HTC? They're all in with Android and WP7. Motorola? Their success with Android and their patent holdings got them bought by Google.

So who would honestly want WebOS? Sony Ericsson?
There's also RIM, but they have already bought QNX. Maybe someone outside the traditional players wants to invest in WebOS. Lenovo, ZTE, Huawei perhaps?

The Following User Says Thank You to Stonik For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by Stonik View Post
There's also RIM, but they have already bought QNX. Maybe someone outside the traditional players wants to invest in WebOS. Lenovo, ZTE, Huawei perhaps?
WebOS was born 4-5 years too late to save Palm, and failed, not once but twice now. I find it hard to believe that ZTE or Huawei should be willing to purchase/license WebOS, when MeeGo is available for tablets and so on. Besides, what they need on phones is something like Bada, a flexible platform with a super-efficient RTOS multitasking core, not a dinosaur like WebOS.

for a very hypothetical scenario imagine this:

HP gets no buyers or licensees for WebOS. Instead of further trying to license WebOS, It thinks disruptive (disruptive as a suicide bomber). Unlike any other company it
makes WebOS 100% open source (reminder: hypothetical scenario)....
This sudden availability of truly open OS sends developers and handset manufacturers crazy! LTE, Lenovo, LG ... everyone start the scramble for WebOS --- on netbooks, tablets, and phones,.... developers hack it and build it up to a next gen OS... with almost no legal issues, it replaces Android as the next OS of choice!

hp, in its self professed "software as a service" model, rides on this wave, and derives better profits too.....

enough utopia, now back to work..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IcyMoustache For This Useful Post:
......... wait, isnt the above Meego's model already ....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IcyMoustache For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Companies in general are wary of 'freebies'. They usually don't come with 'support', warranty, may contain components with questionable patent/copyright issues and whatnot.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by IcyMoustache View Post
......... wait, isnt the above Meego's model already
You've overlooked Intel's AppUp program(s), as well as how there is a governing force over the OS - Linux Foundation.

Open sourcing a project, flinging it to GitHub is entropy. I'd rather WebOS follow the Mozilla method of control, support and advancement after getting Netscape source.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
He just confirms what I've said about Maemo/Symbian for some time.

Originally Posted by Stonik View Post
In my opinion, Jaaksi is still "one of the good guys".
He was in a tough position. I know he didn't actually believe some of the PR stuff he had to say publicly.

Last edited by Texrat; 2011-08-21 at 18:11.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
WebOS was born 4-5 years too late to save Palm, and failed, not once but twice now. I find it hard to believe that ZTE or Huawei should be willing to purchase/license WebOS, when MeeGo is available for tablets and so on. Besides, what they need on phones is something like Bada, a flexible platform with a super-efficient RTOS multitasking core, not a dinosaur like WebOS.
What WebOS needed, is better hardware. Competing with devices like iPhone, Galaxy S, Moto Droid, the Pre was struggling. Pre 3 was a nice advancement, but release was postponed for an eternity.

As for comparing Bada to WebOS, don't even try. Bada is just Touchwiz with Android stolen parts. WebOS is innovative and after Maemo 5 and now MeeGo is the best multitasking device, far from being a dinosaur.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post: