Closed Thread
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Willowave: reboot your tablet (shut down and restart), open a terminal, and enter, "sudo debian" then cut and paste the text you get into a message here.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Sioux Falls SD
BusyBox v1.6.1 (2008-05-22 10:32:35 EEST) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

~ $ sudo debian
Setting up the chroot...
using device: /media/mmc1/debian-final.img.ext2
Using ext2 file system
using /media/mmc1/debian-final.img.ext2 on the turbo-loop
mount: mounting /dev on /debian/dev failed
mount: mounting /proc on /debian/proc failed
mount: none is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: mounting none on /debian/dev/pts failed
mount: mounting /tmp on /debian/tmp failed
mkdir: cannot create directory '/debian/media/mmc2': Permission denied
mount: /media/mmc2 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: mounting /media/mmc2 on /debian/media/mmc2 failed
mkdir: cannot create directory '/debian/media/mmc1': Permission denied
mount: /media/mmc1 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: mounting /media/mmc1 on /debian/media/mmc1 failed
mount: /home/user is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: mounting /home/user on /debian/home/user failed
mount: /var/run/dbus is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: mounting /var/run/dbus on /debian/var/run/dbus failed
touch: /debian/tmp/chroot-complete: Permission denied
Everything set up, running chroot...
chroot: cannot execute /bin/sh: Permission denied

This is a brand new sd card its on now but I did an installation on a different card, did the same thing as described above.
Thanks qole : )

Last edited by Willowave; 2008-11-11 at 18:06.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Willowave: that's a really odd error. Your image file opens OK, but then you start getting "Permission denied" errors. My only guesses are that your SD card is read-only or that somehow you didn't get root access properly. This second one really should not happen.

Try this in the terminal:

Code:
touch /media/mmc1/test.txt
If that gives an error, your SD card is read-only. Check the tab on the card. Also, corruption can do that.

If that command works fine, then...

Suggested Remedy:
1. Uninstall easy-deb-chroot using Application Manager
2. Reboot
3 . Install easy-deb-chroot using Application Manager
4. Reboot
5. Open a terminal and try 'sudo debian' again.

Last edited by qole; 2008-11-12 at 00:02.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Sioux Falls SD
It made the test.txt just fine, I was able to go and open it even from file manager. I will try to reinstall again. Can you give me the command to format the media card thru terminal? I think I will try that before I try to reinstall again. Thanks for your help. I'm just glad to know it wasn't something obvious or silly. It was kind of driving me nuts.
Thanks again!!

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
I've solved my screen size issue using tightvncserver and 770x770 res as Qole proposed in different topic.
About performance - I assume that standard debian armel compilation doesn't make use of FP unit and so on.
Maybe some special libc would help as on 686 - optimised for our hardware but who could make one?
Mencoder runs 4times slower comparing per MHz with PIII system with SIMD opts.

Hi qole.
I been trying to run jnlp on Easy Debian under browsers (both).
It open window, load applet, starting applet, BUT when i'm trying to login - applet tells "no connection to server".
Is strange, because applet been downloaded from the same server using https. Looks like something is blocking connection. If you are interested in this jnlp

Another question (in case we'll run it successfully)- is it easy for you to make Easy Debian to Easy Light Debian with only browser and full java support ()removing the rest of programs? Why i'm asking so? I am not close to programming, but can follow instructions.

intery: are you using Java Web Start for this? You shouldn't even use a browser for jnlp apps.

EDIT: and believe me, this really is "Easy Debian Lite". A 1.1 GB Debian file system is tiny.

Last edited by qole; 2008-11-13 at 18:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
qole:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
intery: are you using Java Web Start for this? You shouldn't even use a browser for jnlp apps.
Yes, thats right, but i did not find is Java Web Start configured for this as Java Web Start - i find that is Netx-5. Any way there is netx-5 implemented so it run applets, and after it run them (no matter from where : Java Web Start or browser - both start) applets connections are blocked to server. I been trying to get login from applets with versions Java 1.1 and 4 and 5 - same result. Just try to login... may this is my misconfiguring of browser or whatever. I would like to know is only my lack or system?

Yes it light, sure, sorry, but would i know how much take gimp, open office and rest apps i would be clearer in explication. No matter, more important is java, that's what i have to resolve.

To get the command line Java commands pointing to the right place, this post by Picklesworth suggests running the following command from the Debian Chroot (root) command line:

Code:
update-java-alternatives -s java-6-openjdk
After the configuration process, the Java Web Start command line should work properly...

Originally Posted by intery View Post
... i did not find is Java Web Start configured for this as Java Web Start - i find that is Netx-5. Any way there is netx-5 implemented so it run applets, and after it run them (no matter from where : Java Web Start or browser - both start) applets connections are blocked to server..
Sorry, yes, the javaws command line uses Netx.

I know almost nothing about this stuff, I never use java, maybe someone else can help.

EDIT: I have been more successful running .jar files through 'java -jar applet.jar' than .jnlp files via 'javaws applet.jnlp' ...

Last edited by qole; 2008-11-15 at 19:02.

Closed Thread

Tags
debian, firefox, gimp, java, openoffice