Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
+1 and 10 chars!

i have faith in frank and jos, my owncloud box will become a nextcloud box in good time.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
i have faith in frank and jos, my owncloud box will become a nextcloud box in good time.
I do not have the same level of faith; but I do hope that you are right.

Quickly pointing out once again that the 'free' in 'free software' stands for freedom, not price. Thanks, English!

Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Quickly pointing out once again that the 'free' in 'free software' stands for freedom, not price. Thanks, English!
Freedom of what exactly? We already have freedom of choice, freedom of doing our own solution(s)... freedom seems to be somewhat overused and oft misunderstood by software vendors/programmers.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Freedom of what exactly? We already have freedom of choice, freedom of doing our own solution(s)... freedom seems to be somewhat overused and oft misunderstood by software vendors/programmers.
A program is free software if the program's users have the four essential freedoms:
- The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose.
- The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does your computing as you wish. Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
- The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor.
- The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others. By doing this you can give the whole community a chance to benefit from your changes. Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

But do read this, because those descriptions are short, and many people seem to interpret the 'you's as referring to the person reading the 'four freedoms' rather than the collective entity of humans, and so mistakenly believe they "don't need" free software and free software "isn't needed" because they don't know how or don't feel the need to take advantage of the freedom(s) it provides.

OT: English may be an easy language thanks to its tiny vocabulary, but trying to accurately convey anything that goes beyond the absolute basics is quite difficult.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I don't know about you but someone imposing his view of freedom on me does not strike me as freedom.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I don't know about you but someone imposing his view of freedom on me does not strike me as freedom.
That's an odd position to take, in the case of SW freedom at least.

Politically, well yes we'd be on a bit thin ground there; historically it has not been possible to define "freedom" so that all people agree on the definition and how to apply it to real life situations but SW-wise it is pretty clear-cut IMHO.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
He just quoted Stallman's take on freedom.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
He just quoted Stallman's take on freedom.
Yes, I know. That was exactly my point. Stallman is a dictator, not a freedom activist like some people like portraying him.