Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Did that really happen because it's Linux?

Or is it because you installed something beta/experimental that messed up your system, and could have happened on any other platform if you were using something experimental without fully understanding what you were doing?

Ok, Linux might give bit more freedom to do whatever you want, but freedom allways comes with responsibility for what you use it.
not really, because its LINUX, its open source and i can do anything in its system, and because of screw ups, i need to re-flash,

as long as there is a solution like re-flashing, i dont mind screwing up

Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
my phone got messed up! i cant do anything
why? what did i do?
i messed up the root
why?
its open source....linux
Because Virus', trojans, spyware, malware, don't mess up windows - right?

and?
i can do anything and access the main root of the device.
now?
i screw up on something, need to reflash
why?
its LINUX!!!!!
Uh.. no. Actually if you know how to use Linux - you almost never need to reflash. With root, you can fix almost any problem - including a 100% full rootfs, without a reflash... unless you manage to remove everything in your root.

So... yeah. But you can blame linux if it helps you sleep at night ..
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
linux empowers the users. users screw things up. if the users cannot properly handle the power they are afforded by linux, they must embark on the learning curve to master it. otherwise they must remain using what has oppressed them.

there is a fork in the road. it must be taken...
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Just out of Curiosity - what do you play?
Mainly Halo PC, which many have tried and none succeeded. Also my CAD programs are problematic. Same for music production.

Trust me, I have a high incentive to get more into Linux, but it's just not quite mature enough to handle my more extreme needs.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Mainly Halo PC, which many have tried and none succeeded. Also my CAD programs are problematic. Same for music production.
Hrmm... I thought I had gotten Halo to run before...

Is Halo PC different than combat evolved?

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...estingId=46499
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo:_PC_%28Linux%29

And yeah... my Wife had the same complaints about CAD software. I tried to sell her on many and she never liked any of them... but she rarely uses CAD.. I gave her a windows VM for that one purpose.. she doesn't use the VM much. She's found a couple specialized things she'll boot it up for, do what she needs, then shut it down.

CAD is definitely lacking (forgot about that one).. and I have no experience at all with Audio Stuff.. only what I've seen with Audacity and such. I'll add these two to the list of things I shall research..

When I recommend Linux to people I do like to be open about it's shortcomings...

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Did that really happen because it's Linux?

Or is it because you installed something beta/experimental that messed up your system, and could have happened on any other platform if you were using something experimental without fully understanding what you were doing?

Ok, Linux might give bit more freedom to do whatever you want, but freedom allways comes with responsibility for what you use it.
yes....thats why im having fun on n900, being open source, i have all the access through the whole phone, but one miss, reflash, i can even open apps just using xterm/.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
it's just not quite mature enough to handle my more extreme needs.
It's plenty mature, just unsupported by the vendors of the programs you use.

I'm essentially the same way, I've got 80GB of games installed via Steam that I don't really want to fight with Wine to get working, much less the terrible ATi drivers for Linux. As a result I have VMWare workstation going with multiple Ubuntu sessions, each far more powerful than the hardware I've been able to dedicate to it before.

For me it goes like this (true story):

"How were you able to get this debug driver and test suite for our hardware going so fast?"

"Because it's running Linux"

The transparency provided by the kernel, and control provided by the user space makes it extremely easy to learn how to write a driver. Contrast this with Windows, where tools and information are locked up behind extremely expensive paywalls, or are extremely obscure and hard to locate.

In fact I can't think of anything outside games or Windows-only software where "Because it's running Linux" has been a negative.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
I'm essentially the same way, I've got 80GB of games installed via Steam that I don't really want to fight with Wine to get working, much less the terrible ATi drivers for Linux. As a result I have VMWare workstation going with multiple Ubuntu sessions, each far more powerful than the hardware I've been able to dedicate to it before.
Actually.. I don't know when you last looked, but now-a-days a high number of Steam games have been reported with great success. Quite a few are officially supported by Cedega I think..

And ATI has been getting much better.. My gamer review is with a newer ATI 4890 card and using Ubuntu it's great. Still not as pain-free as NVIDIA (unless running a supported distro like Ubuntu) .. but I support ATI's constant (monthly) updates and their release of code back into the open source drivers more than Nvidia. So I took the plunge buying ATI over Nvidia for the first time in years.

Other than trying to upgrade to Lucid Lynx and Karmic Koala before they were officially supported.. I had no problems. I did even manage to get ATI running on Karmic in like Alpha 4 or 5 or something.. but I'm just masochistic like that.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Hrmm... I thought I had gotten Halo to run before...

Is Halo PC different than combat evolved?

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...estingId=46499
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo:_PC_%28Linux%29
Same app. Let me qualify: *I* could not get it to work, and same with guys I gamed with. The issue appeared to be with our hardware/software combos (I'm actually on a homebuilt workstation with quad opteron cores and XP64, which complicates things).

Anyway I'll only invest so much time into software troubleshooting. After a while I cant take anymore and just want to DO things. But I'll grant my experience/needs are very unique and again, I am highly motivated to break from Windows. Just need a few gaps filled.

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
hahaha . . . . great post