All the time

Once you've used Linux the closed-source OSes just seem like silly toys in comparison

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
I was only joking!

You are right though - I'm really annoyed ATI have considered my laptop r300-based card as a "legacy" device.
Can't they at least release the source code of "legacy" devices to the community?
At least we could have still supported it.
You are joking right??? They have stated plainly... use the Open Source drivers from the community. Not to mentionATI/AMD are a rare breed... they actually help the community with documentation. I have my r600 based card running on Open Source drivers.

But that is a moot point with my ATI card. There is an open-source driver but it's 3d performance is poor compared to the proprietory version.
No clue about the performance. It works for everything I tried though not the r300... only r600. If you mean omg it doesn't do bagillion FPS but only 25-60 then that's something between you and whatever thing you believe you get from bagillion FPS.

I tend to not really notice differences between 25 or 60 or bagillion FPSs.

That's the problem with proprietory drivers. If a company decided to cease support then you are pretty much screwed!
Just like with windows or any other system. So nothing new there. I have a scanner... it only ever worked on a very very specific version of windows... never did in anything else. So you see screwed if you do, screwed if you don't.
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
"No, there isn't any decent text-to-speech available, because I'm running Linux."

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
"No, there isn't any decent text-to-speech available, because I'm running Linux."
Of the top of my head: festival, espeak
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I was blown away recently by how much faster web browsing was using Ubuntu/Firefox3 than XP64/IE8. Just incredible difference. If only Linux did everything I need/like... : /

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
If only Linux did everything I need/like... : /
I hate to be a FAN boy but could you be more specific?

On Topic: I've had many, many, many experiences with Anti-virus and upgrades.

"What Anti-virus do you use?"
"Linux."

"Why do 3000 things startup when I boot?"
"It's not Linux."

In fact.. after the 4th time of me cleaning, and 3rd time reloading, my sister-in-laws Laptop from virus' and me telling her "You know you wouldn't have this problem if you just let me Upgrade to Linux, right?" she finally let me.....

She's been saying nothing but good things since. She has needed to call me and ask for help on how to do some of her old stuff.. like manage her iPod music and stuff.. but once I showed her Banshee and some apps for ripping her CD's she was gold.

I had an old Laptop laying around I didn't need/use when my Brother in Law started college... so my wife and her mom asked me if we could give that Laptop to him for his birthday for school work.

I loaded Ubuntu on it.. told him when I gave it to him to try it out - if at any point he needs me to I'll load Windows XP back on it.

Never heard from him... a few times I ask him at family parties how it's working for him and he says "Great.. does everything I need."

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh....How do I lower my daily tech support calls from Family Members?????

They use Linux.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
It won't run my games. That's a showstopper. Same for certain development tools, which either run too poorly under Wine or not at all.

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
this is my first time to handle linux

what can i share is:

my phone got messed up! i cant do anything

why? what did i do?

i messed up the root

why?

its open source....linux

and?

i can do anything and access the main root of the device.

now?

i screw up on something, need to reflash

why?

its LINUX!!!!!

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
this is my first time to handle linux

what can i share is:

my phone got messed up! i cant do anything

why? what did i do?

i messed up the root

why?

its open source....linux

and?

i can do anything and access the main root of the device.

now?

i screw up on something, need to reflash

why?

its LINUX!!!!!
Did that really happen because it's Linux?

Or is it because you installed something beta/experimental that messed up your system, and could have happened on any other platform if you were using something experimental without fully understanding what you were doing?

Ok, Linux might give bit more freedom to do whatever you want, but freedom allways comes with responsibility for what you use it.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
It won't run my games. That's a showstopper. Same for certain development tools, which either run too poorly under Wine or not at all.

http://blog.linuxniche.net/?p=276 (specifically this page: http://blog.linuxniche.net/?p=276&page=6)

In addition:

I did get Crysis Warhead running (though admittedly, that was painful..)

Fallout 3 doesn't give me the problems I had in that Review anymore..

SPORE runs well.. as does EVE Online.

And I guess you weren't able to find some adequate replacements for your IDE's instead of using wine?

Granted.. I'm not a Huge gamer.. and Wine isn't an answer for everything.. but - Linux *can* Game .

Just out of Curiosity - what do you play?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!