Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by screener View Post
what if i wanted to do this with a 4G xtreme SD card . . . can you please help me with that ??

what are the numbers for the card size ??

thanx alot
Look here for your specific question. I also recommend you look at my guide for easier cloning.

(You'll also be glad to know I've successfully cloned to a SanDisk 4GB Extreme III card.)

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

im more than glad
thank you very much
what a nice first post

i will try it now and let you know !!

i have installed lots of software on my n800 and im going to try to clone it with the software on it . . . lets see

done
very nice very straightforward

thank you very much

Before I go ahead and do this, can I also do the screen rotating as well (requires flashing the kernel) and/or KDE?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

all worked ok here with a sandisk extreme III 8gb !
Thanks !

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
so close...
Originally Posted by TXFI View Post
12) cloned the files from /floppy to /opt:
# ./tar cf - -C /floppy . | ./tar xvf - -C /opt
gets me this: /bin/sh: ./tar:not Found

N800 with OS2008. On reboot get 'Booting from flash (mtdblock4 jffs2) message, but don't think it is (Device Memory is still 251.5MB). [Edit: when booting from MMC it says so, not flash]
Using a 2GB SD Card, partitioned with 1.3G and ~.5G method.
File manager shows Internal memory card with 40.5MB.

[Edit: I restarted from step 9 here] after copying the tar and nupgrade.sh files to MyDocs. Seems to have done the trick.] It might have been alright the first time, and I just missed pressing the boot from MMC2 option.

Last edited by TheGogmagog; 2008-05-12 at 19:28.

hello,
the above description worked for me too.
i had about 20MB left on my n800 und decieded to switch to dual boot from sd.
i wanted to give an 512MB SD card a second life as internal card.
i planned to leave 96MB for virtual memory (partition 1) and rest for system and apps.
after proceeding, my IT shows up with total memory of 378,1MB, used 355,6 free 22,6. (98MB available on internal vard, just as planned)
ok, i won 2,6MB for apps?
before proceeding, the tablet showed around 250MB of total memory. now 378, but free space (for apps) still is the same?
in / i printed the size of all files:
du -h|sort -n -r > space.txt
and
grep .0M space.txt
biggest one: /usr/lib/python2.5 (29.0M)
second: /var/cache/apt (4.M)
mh, nothing special.
am i wrong or should there be now around 100MB more free memory then before?
thanks

Hi all, first post for me.

There works perfectly on a single ext3 partition (2gb SD).

You must edit bootloader.sh in order to use a SINGLE partition.

Regards, mrfan (Fabrizio).

Edited because I got my answer from a post in the newbie forum

Last edited by CyberCowboy; 2008-06-24 at 21:08.

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Hi TXFI, I was very impressed to hear that booting from memory card will give more space for downloading application and help flash memory from wearing out as installations are done in removable memory card. The more good thing above all was that when I have to reflash my IT I won't lose the applications I've installed as it's all saved in mmc1. (Plz correct me if my belief about booting from mmc1 is wrong). So, I followed your steps. Btw, I'm using N810 with the latest software. Here's were I couldn't perform as stated and the final outcome:
-Step 6 was good.
-Step 7 was going fine but when it came to the command '# mke2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2' it said 'couldn't find mke2fs'. Ignoring it I went on and rebooted my IT.
-Step 8,9 and 10 was good.
-In step 11, when giving the '# mount dev/mmcblk0p2 /opt' cmd it gave me error. Another cmd went fine.
-Again in step 12, I got the error 'couldn't find ./tar'
-In step 13, I couldn't umount /opt but others went fine and rebooted my IT.

IT rebooted fine and I was shocked to see that my IT's internal memory (not the removable memory) was used instead of my removable memory as the internal memory which is supposed to have 2GB space now has only 511.7MB available and there are no any files I can see. My removable care is normal. So, was it suppose to be this way? What should I do to fix the above mentioned problems I faced while going through your steps thanks.