Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
I just derped really hard over this.

Does anyone even bother to check prior art anymore? I remember quite a lot of my Symbian S60 phones having the phone icon inside a floating message box indicating that I have a call in the background.

I remember when there was the whole N95 (8gb) VS iPhone debate...simpler times

(I called them both shi t and lusted for the TyTan II/HTC Kaiser, the Zaurus was too rare to find)

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Does anyone even bother to check prior art anymore?
I actually do that, for a living , but in Europe, so it's a different world (at least in theory..)

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Does anyone even bother to check prior art anymore?
The USPTO certainly doesn't since it is self-funded by the patent application fees. The more patents granted the more income they have. They couldn't care less whether patents have merit or not.

I remember quite a lot of my Symbian S60 phones having the phone icon inside a floating message box indicating that I have a call in the background.
Since the patent says

"The disclosed embodiments relate generally to portable electronic devices, and more particularly, to portable electronic devices that allow a user to use multiple applications in parallel."

then prior art goes back to at least the Psion Series 5 which had a touch screen, GUI and multitasking. I'm sure there must be other examples going back further.

Last edited by kureyon; 2011-12-21 at 14:31.