Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
So I found a workaround with micro-b (others have probably used this already).

1. Type about:config to the taskbar and hit enter. Click the warning understood.

2. Type: browser.enable to the search bar. You will get two options. If the first one for automatic resizing of image is false, click it to activate and hit enter to change the value to true. Close the window.

If you prefer seeing straight the smaller images, you can get now to see too big images fitting your screen like this:

3. Go to a post with too big image. Press the image, chooce "copy image address", click and open another micro-b window and copy (ctrl+v) the address to the taskbar and hit enter.

Or if you do not need to see smaller images straight, you can go to maemo forums Control Panel - Edit Options - untack "Show images" and save. Now you will get only a link to the image and when you click it you get to see it in full and rendered/scaled to fit in open window. I don't know why I didn't do this in the first place. Threads open much faster not loading images.

Now you can view the whole image with micro-b. If the change of the value in about:config doesn't change anything try to first restarting micro-b and if that doesn't make change try rebooting device. I did them both so not sure if they are or aren't needed.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

Last edited by Maemish; 2020-01-04 at 14:20.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Did you mean, like this?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Hmmm, do we see some in production change on maemo to fix the picture uploader?

Did you use the same method to upload like in last competition, maemish?

Maybe one can now upload larger images but the presentation still "assumes" a max width?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Hmmm, do we see some in production change on maemo to fix the picture uploader?
Yes, juiceme is running some experiments. For which he has my eternal gratitude.

@Maemish, I will tell you a secret. After uploading an attachment, open it in a second tab and find out the attachment ID. It is embedded in the URL. For example, your attachments are 40830 and 40832. Then use the attach tag in your post, like this:

[*attach*]40830[*/attach*]

(Obviously, remove the stars. I had to add them to stop TMO trying to display the attachment.)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Yes indeed; with a little tria&error I managed to find out how the upload limits are defined and how to change them.
(so now even I can enjoy the pictures without picking nits on image size )

Now it just seems so that people are seeing an effect that always was there, namely that the forum does not autoscale the attached images unless they are done using html links. It just was not so prominent when the image limits were smaller...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,702 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.

Ok. So finally understood. I had taken away from the editor all those odd optionbars so I had to add them from Forum control panel. And then I clicked the attachment I downloaded to open in another window (or can I just copy the link without opening? Probably yes.) And then I clicked the add image icon and gave the url of the attached image and finally, finally I managed to get that smaller preview image which I have wondered and envied how others do it.

Edit: WRONG!!! "And I have to remove the attachment from the list so not to attach anything except the url." WRONG!!!

And now I noticed that the image dimensions for download are now 2000x2000 and I also the first time noticed that I can set my own value in the default image viewer and I tried and found out that to downscale to 77% gives just under 2000 the width value.

So now I can post proper competition images in aproper way and now my micro-b scales the full image corretly to fit in the screen when I click it to full size.

Phew! That was a tough one.

This picture is interesting if you know the building behind the wrong parked russian car and the limousine for private parties: SUPO (Finnish National Security Agency).

Edit: Aaaargh!!! I didn't get it. I tried the trick attaching id numbers from the url but it showed the image still big. So then I copied the url of the attached file to "add image" and it showed the smaller image but at the same time also the big image. So then I thought that the image is uploaded to my account and that I can just remove the image from the post and it shows it with the url but NOOOO!

How do you do it? Pichlo? Anyone? I just can't make it happen right. How to get in the post only the smaller image which you can click to get it bigger?
Attached Images

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

Last edited by Maemish; 2020-01-04 at 22:13.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Here's a picture of the Andromeda Galaxy taken with a Pixel 4 XL in "astrophotography mode". Not only does it clearly show the Andromeda Galaxy, two of its satellite galaxies are visible: M32 and NGC 205. This was taken with a cell phone camera (no extra lenses), mounted on a tiny tripod sitting on the roof of my car. The camera was not guided to track the object's motion during the exposure; the camera's software compensates for sky motion. This is a tiny portion of a much larger image. A 4x "software zoom" was applied, and the sky background was subtracted (both with gimp).

A larger image of the Orion-Taurus region, again taken with an unguided Pixel 4 XL, can be seen here: https://imgur.com/a/U1zBUnx
Attached Images

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Pro1, Stock Camera, unedited

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DDark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
Here's a picture of the Andromeda Galaxy taken with a Pixel 4 XL in "astrophotography mode". Not only does it clearly show the Andromeda Galaxy, two of its satellite galaxies are visible: M32 and NGC 205. This was taken with a cell phone camera (no extra lenses), mounted on a tiny tripod sitting on the roof of my car. The camera was not guided to track the object's motion during the exposure; the camera's software compensates for sky motion...]
For me this competition is over!
I do believe no one will be able to provide a HIGHer photo

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
For me this competition is over!
I do believe no one will be able to provide a HIGHer photo
Thanks! The uncropped photo also shows the Triangulum Galaxy (M33), which is even more distant.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:

Tags
camera phone, competition