Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Sorry to break it to you but I don't see significant innovation in Jolla. So in that sense they are very very very, beyond repair late. For the average user openness means nothing, they want the device that works. Perhaps I am missing something, but what is sooo novel that Jolla offers?? And don't tell me its Linux or multitasking.
It's something else! You can't see that?

Same with tizen, ubuntu and firefox. They offer something else. Nothing more, nothing less. Same thing as as apple and google once did.

What was so special with iOS and Android when they first launched? Its was something else!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-05-29 at 12:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Too untried & unsafe. People will see over the next 12 months if their devices will work without major hacking, or are just hold together with duct tape in same way like N900 et al. I really hope it's not Nokia all over again, and major (mainstream) devs can be convinced, not just relying on freetime devs and communities. Otherwise it would be not much more than a portable SSH terminal with a shiny UI that also can (take) calls.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2013-05-29 at 14:08.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
[...]
What was so special with iOS and Android when they first launched? Its was something else!
What was special about the iPhone was that it was the first modern cell phone. Corporations, such as Nokia, that did not recognize that learned a hard lesson. Also, at least in the US, Apple did not allow carriers to degrade the phone, which was a real novelty. Jolla has done nothing nearly that special so far.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Too untried & unsafe. People will see over the next 12 months if their devices will work without major hacking, or are just hold together with duct tape in same way like N900 et al.

(...)

(mainstream) devs can be convinced, not just relying on freetime devs and communities. Otherwise it would be not much more than a portable SSH terminal with a shiny UI that also can (take) calls.
No, thanks. I really do *want* another device relying on freetime devs and communities, with the difference being actual support (re openness of code and hardware bits, where possible).

If I would like to have almost everything (including terminal...) as payware of advertisement-filed crap, I would already "convert" to android I don't see any real benefit in those "mainstream" devs, as you call them.
---

Is Jolla late? It depends. If the will act wisely, and release device that targets geeks niche, without irritating sh*t like aegis or "dumbed down", closed interface, they're going to get praised, no matter how long it take. After all, apple success is doing exactly the same, just targeting exactly opposite niche, and pleasing them to no end. Geeks niche is, generally, unexploited.

Androids seems to cover the most boring, "middle ground" of general population users (ones that used "dumb phones" just few years ago). Give them compatibility with some standard services, few brain-empty games to kill time, and they're happy. No place for Jolla there, I hope.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Jolla is not targetting geeks. They are targetting mainstream. I think for them to grow, they need a real innovation. I just dont see it. UI may be nicer, multitasking is there......but its really all very minor improvement. And of course there are people that will buy a different phone, just so that they have something else than iphone or android........

Posts: 404 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dehradun,India
Sorry to break it to you but I don't see significant innovation in Jolla. So in that sense they are very very very, beyond repair late. For the average user openness means nothing, they want the device that works. Perhaps I am missing something, but what is sooo novel that Jolla offers?? And don't tell me its Linux or multitasking.
ya like how windows phone proved so useful and are still stuck at 3% marketshare even after pouring so much money in a garbage OS.
And if you are talking about hardware(soc) I dont see how windows phone are better. Every windows phone is dual core with a old gen gpu.
And in term or usefulness it will be still better than windows mobile.
compared to android/iOS maybe not for many but still they aren't trying to compete with them.

Jolla is not targetting geeks. They are targetting mainstream. I think for them to grow, they need a real innovation. I just dont see it. UI may be nicer, multitasking is there......but its really all very minor improvement. And of course there are people that will buy a different phone, just so that they have something else than iphone or android........
Wait, you champion Windows Phone, why would folks listen to you about innovation? I ask this as a devil's advocate, not as an attack.

UI doesn't need to be radical, but well thought out. As much as I like BB10's gestures, at the end of the day BlackBerry aped some of the features from MeeGo, Android, even iOS and WP8. WP7/WP8 have a radically different, "modern" UI and it's not improving their share. But you weren't arguing that, I know.

Meanwhile, Android slowly transformed their AOSP interface into something usable based on user and company input. And during that same time, multi-tasking improved (still not up to N900/N9/WebOS levels yet though). But you weren't arguing that either.

Innovation - if the N9 was repackaged onto newer hardware, optimized for that hardware and released with advertising and media support - read: ecosystem in place - and a few improvements and it would be fresh enough to capture people's attention. Jolla is doing just that.

Innovation is one thing. Marketing is another. And ultimately people will go where the support will be found. And by support, that varies - from popular applications to supporting workflow/livelihood/environments and access to updates and their media.

Jolla is endeavoring to do just that.

Real innovation in this time, day and age is something that's disruptive. Something that would bring something new and integrate more deeply into our lifestyles and make the smartphone the center of our daily operations.

That's what innovation is to me and what Jolla needs to do.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
WP is a perfect example. They now have smooth and well running OS but still stuck at low percentage. Why? Because there is no real innovation. Everyone after iPhone is iOS copycat. Android got there faster than WP, and got themselves a nice share. WP is trying to leverage the whole integration with their other business and I think they have a good shot to hit double digits. So what does Jolla have? They don't have ecosystem, they don't have moneys, and they don't have real revolutionary innovation. All they hope is to collect few crumbs. Call me blind, I just don't see it.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Yup blind !

Posts: 404 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dehradun,India
WP is a perfect example. They now have smooth and well running OS but still stuck at low percentage. Why? Because there is no real innovation. Everyone after iPhone is iOS copycat. Android got there faster than WP, and got themselves a nice share. WP is trying to leverage the whole integration with their other business and I think they have a good shot to hit double digits. So what does Jolla have? They don't have ecosystem, they don't have moneys, and they don't have real revolutionary innovation. All they hope is to collect few crumbs. Call me blind, I just don't see it.
Ya random reboot and application crash in date parsing routine is what makes wp smooth isn't it.
No notification center, no vpn support , no otg support .
Well can't talk about multitasking.
You already no why . Don't you?
Because it's even worse than the dead symbian platform.
And guess what you are going to get on WP in coming time.
Viruses , trojan , worm and spywares.
Welcome to windows world

Last edited by raaj13; 2013-05-29 at 16:32.