Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Arie View Post
This is what the N9's biggest mess came from... Doing it right the first time. It wasn't.

The more time they take the better it works, I can wait a few years if Jolla can replace ios or android... I'd prefer that to what Nokia did to us with the N9.
The less time it takes the faster they get to the next iteration. You don't release a perfect device. You release and improve. Never release a complete product, instead build future expectations. Both iOS and Android has done this for years. It's impossible for jolla to do that in one device. So the faster the first device hit market the sooner the improvements can be made for the next device.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
1) Is Jolla late to market? probably yes (I think everybody would be 5 years late now).
2) Can they still succeed? Maybe. There's no way to know today.
3) Is Jolla late compared to their initial timing? No. They said "sdk in Q1, device announcement in Q2". right now, they are delivering on schedule.

But "taking too long?" could only refer to point 3. So the answer is "no", and it hasn't changed in several months.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by chiagn900 View Post
yh but were all developers . we dont even like things perfect or well all be using an iphone 4s.. we prefare em build to perfection.. it already ran on an n950.. the right thing to do is to build a demo while building the ailfish for there device we test it n report to them.. thre the team that originally built the n9 . if they wanted to they could have by now
stop cry and start make apps in sdk there is no point release jolla device now.if community not port apps.

as.already stated they small company and very risky. When release the phone must be stable and the more qpps ported until then is good. Btw why should they rush? Ubuntu is near from stable as what.we seen from jolla so far...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Even though, a beta would be nice to install (if someone did N900 hw adaptation)

/edit: yeah but jolla better make it shine and w/o bugs, as they're not microsoft and won't get great superb results from buggy OS
the nearest beta you get on n900 is infact nemomobile try that instead.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Jolla might building their whole buissniss on being late to market.

It's still unknown what hardware the planing to use. But it's likely that they use around 1 year old hardware.

Being late is not always bad if you back it up with an excellent price tag.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
So two things can "Jolla" really good!
1) to present a very good OS
2) and correctly LONG BORING time

from present the os, we get minimum new news, no OS news, no renewal, etc.
I get very bored at moment.
It may be that good products take a while to publish this.... of course!
But one should satisfy the community regularly with videos and information.

sry for my bad english

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cvp For This Useful Post:
It would be awesome if Jolla - officially - would offer to buy a license of the Sailfish OS for us N9 owners!!

It pretty clear that jolla isn't late to market since they don't compete with specs but instead being different So they can't be late. Now is this what the market wants is a different matter...

Is Jolla late to the ecosystem war?
Yes.

Is Jolla targeting spec whores?
No.

Is Jolla targeting ease of use (kids/grans)?
No.

Jolla is a niche.
Its competing against Tizen, FireFoxOS, WebOS and the discontinued Symbian platform. It can only guarantee itself a 1-5% total marketshare because its niche.

The top players are Android at 45%, TouchWizz at 31% and iOS at 18%.
The middle ground is covered by Windows Phone at 3% and Blackberry at 3%.

Edit:
Think of it as getting 10 random people;
-4 of them had an Android device (LG, ZTE, Huawei, HTC.)
(Perhaps SONY or Motorola instead)
-3 of them had a Samsung
(Latest Galaxy S, latest NOTE, most popular Galaxy Cheap)
-2 of them had an iPhone
(Latest iPhone, last-gen iPhone)
-That last guy probably has a Nokia, or Blackberry.
(The chance of even one of these randomly chosen people to have something else is one in a hundred odds).

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2013-05-29 at 13:20.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Sorry to break it to you but I don't see significant innovation in Jolla. So in that sense they are very very very, beyond repair late. For the average user openness means nothing, they want the device that works. Perhaps I am missing something, but what is sooo novel that Jolla offers?? And don't tell me its Linux or multitasking.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: