Posts: 79 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ India
is there a hope for n900 to run sailfish os

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Remember - porting is one thing (and I know not wots wot there) and usability / enjoyment is another. Sailfish - 2012/13 OS; n900 - 2008/9 hardware. Hmmm.......

I would love to be wrong.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Tada!! Thanks Shmerl; much as I suspected...... and no fault of the luverly n900.

I thought N900 users are more experienced users and there won't be a dumb thread like this, I'm wrong.
Luckily no one is asking it for N8x0 (for now)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hyno111 For This Useful Post:
What about other hardware? My dream is to be able to choose my hardware and my OS separately, does Sailfish bring that dream any closer to reality?

Originally Posted by dylanemcgregor View Post
My dream is to be able to choose my hardware and my OS separately, does Sailfish bring that dream any closer to reality?
Yours and everyone else's of a FOSS mindset....

Sadly, no as no OS can operate without hardware drivers and those are what phone manufacturers are notoriously bad in releasing as opensource. Thus the n900 still labours under the burden of specific binary blob hardware drivers. Sailfish would need such to operate on one or other pieces of kit.

There are completely open handsets - google around - but cutting edge they 'aint.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
Yours and everyone else's of a FOSS mindset....

Sadly, no as no OS can operate without hardware drivers and those are what phone manufacturers are notoriously bad in releasing as opensource. Thus the n900 still labours under the burden of specific binary blob hardware drivers. Sailfish would need such to operate on one or other pieces of kit.

There are completely open handsets - google around - but cutting edge they 'aint.
This comment will show how very little I know about any of this...but why is it possible to get Android to run on the N9 and N900 then? But not the reverse.

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ India
Originally Posted by hyno111 View Post
I thought N900 users are more experienced users and there won't be a dumb thread like this, I'm wrong.
Luckily no one is asking it for N8x0 (for now)
don't thought.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Elrond: Why do you linger here when there is no hope?
Arwen: There is still hope.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...