Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
From the article:

"Apparently Nokia is also having problems with its traditional developer base as well — the devs are tired of waiting for devices and the OS to be done, already. This is not a slow-moving market."

I dont get why some people is not get it! I mean alot of SDK in meego is also working on N900 from scratch!

We have QtQuick/Qt/QtComponents directly in Maemo5 we can develop apps working both for Symbian/Maemo and Meego using QT.

So start develop instead of whine IMHO.

Releasing some halfdone Meego hardware now would just kill Meegoproject.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
From the article:

"Apparently Nokia is also having problems with its traditional developer base as well — the devs are tired of waiting for devices and the OS to be done, already. This is not a slow-moving market."

I dont get why some people is not get it! I mean alot of SDK in meego is also working on N900 from scratch!

We have QtQuick/Qt/QtComponents directly in Maemo5 we can develop apps working both for Symbian/Maemo and Meego using QT.

So start develop instead of whine IMHO.

Releasing some halfdone Meego hardware now would just kill Meegoproject.
Do you get what the writer was talking about in that particular passage?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Yes he was whinning like alot of the OSS community is doing and doesnt understand that sometime we have to compromise if we want companys working with openess.

Also alot of the whining is old. Those who had read the meego compliance specs and the stuff about trademark should understand that this rules are there to not make Meego being as fragmented as in the case of Android.

However I could agree with some of his statements. There need to be better communication to the oss developers.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
same with your signature

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Here wee go agaimn about Android.

But fact is that Meego atleast has alot better development framework already in place. And with help of QtQuick it seems getting MUCH simpler writing different UI layers depending on formfactor.

Android/Iphone was first done for mobile formfactors only. Then it is "hacked" to get it work on Tablets also...

QtQuick+Meego is working for all formfactors from scratch in case of QtQuick it also works on desktop computers. And I can surely say QtQuick is damn cool technology :-)

Meego+QtQuick will compete with Android in the future.

You have to get Meego devices out first before you get the developers interested in working on them. Granted QTQuick allows developers to write a computer application and bring it over to Meego. There are still alot of companies interested in Meego, I'm just wondering how long they'll stick around as Android continues to grow. The longer they give Android to grow, the bigger the battle Meego will have to face.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Why does people use the word 'Bricking' for everything from 'contacts not syncing' to 'usb socket snapped'
IMO N900 is unbrickable in any case!

Maybe MeeGo is actually quite completed and devices are being made as we speak. Nokia and Intel perhaps want to release MeeGo when its fully completed and ready to compete against the big boys.

Imagine, Intel releases a netbook (like Google did with the CR-48) at the same time;
Nokia releases a smartphone (as good as the iPhone 4 and EPIC 4G's),
at the same time MeeGo releases its sources (FINAL, non beta).

I feel like if this was done in September 2010,
then the devices got updates and were improved and source was improved,
then newer netbooks (ASUS, Acer etc), new MeeGo smartphones (Nokia etc), and Tegra2 tablets were delivered in December.
The holiday season would mean MeeGo would have a healthy start, probably get the jump on WP7, WebOS and RIM.
All it would need is continual improvements without fragmentation, some time to bake, then it could've been the top 3 choice;
after iOS and Android.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
The funny thing is that MeeGo seems to be running better on the Archos 5 tablet

Compared to MeeGo on the N900 it's highly embarrassing for Nokia.

There are still problems with charging the battery via the wall charger under MeeGo on the N900 and performance issues with the video driver is also a problem.

It just seems Nokia's lack of will to get MeeGo working properly on the N900 is stifling the project.

After all this time there are still issues charging the N900 and you still cannot make phone calls under MeeGo. These should have been priorities and Nokia should have ensured basic stuff like this was quickly working.

Its a shame because there are many developers working hard as they can to get MeeGo ready but are hamstrung by Nokia's "closed-mind, closed source" attitude.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
There are still problems with charging the battery via the wall charger under MeeGo on the N900 and performance issues with the video driver is also a problem.
Uhm. Wall charger got fixed yesterday, SGX fix is coming in kernel during this week and you can make phone calls just fine already in 1.1. We're even working on proper audio routing policy atm.

Do I really need to pull out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWtML...layer_embedded all the time?

Archos port is basically Handset UX on top of GLES drivers and that's it.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2011-01-05 at 21:49.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Is there a "N900 MeeGo Status" page listing what's working and not working with MeeGo?

Or something like a "Milestone Page" showing what is completed and still outstanding?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:

Tags
d.o.a., it's dead jim, meegohorny, tabuntu, undroid