Notices

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
The Load Applet application for Maemo 5 is currently in Extras, but is clearly not ready for primetime. The screencast functionality does not record video, only sound. From Bug 5780, it appears it has to do with incompatabilities with the version of gstreamer running on the device.

I do not mean any disrespect to the developer, but can we remove this from Extras until a permanent fix is in place? Half of the application's functionality is not working ... clearly it is not ready for end users, especially taking into account that the fix mentioned in the bug report is recompiling.

I just thought we should, as a community, put our best foot forward now that N900's are entering the hands of end users.

Load applet doesn't break your device, so there's now reason to remove it. Main function does work. Much better is to get it just updated.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Maybe a quick update should be released which removes the UI for the non-working features, if they can't be fixed in a short timescale.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
Load applet doesn't break your device, so there's now reason to remove it. Main function does work. Much better is to get it just updated.
Not on my device. So far for me, the old version has some functionality, but the new one may as well be vaporware. I can't even tell its installed. I agree it should be removed, unless I don't know how to use it. It doesn't appear in the sys tray at all. At least the old one did. You should listen to this guy. It IS NOT READY for extras. Not even close.

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
I have 0.4.6-1. Seems to work well. It doesn't do much, but it puts two bars of five squares each in the status area, the left bar indicating cpu usage and the right one indicating memory usage.

I find it a useful indicator for when the N900 is under heavy load. I see no alternatives either..?

Bottom line seems to be that it's perfectly ok to leave it in extras, if the only criteria for being there is that it doesn't break your device. One would hope the criteria for QA are more rigorous than that, though.

I've uninstalled, but are you using the one expressly for the N900? Sounds like the older version I was using, which did have some functionality.

There has been only one version in Extras, 0.4.5-2. 0.4.6-1 is in extras-testing but screen cast wasn't fixed.

"Not ready for end users"? You must be shitting me.

Here is a proposal in addition to Extras, let's create a repository called iN00b and only software that is COMPLETE can be there.

Look, if the software was damaging your device (hardware-wise) then yes, it would need to be pulled immediately.

Ubuntu has released updates that have literally destroyed NICs as well as updates that have borked installs. So let's not get in a frenzy.

Clearly screen cast is a WORK IN PROGRESS. You should be lucky it isn't simply marked FIXED IN HARMATTAN.

What you need to ask yourselves is
1.) Does the software package cause permanent damage?
2.) Does it affect other software on the device or bork the install?
3.) Is the software completely useless/non-functional?
4.) Is there another version/revision that works better?

for #1 remove the package completely
for #2 downgrade to extras-testing
for #3 do not install and perhaps recommend downgrade to extras-dev
for #4 recommend replacement with better working version and place newer less-functional version in extras-dev or extras-testing.

I'm using the desktop load widget thingy. Its perfect for me. Screenshots are already built in, so maybe drop the screenshot feature and focus on screencasting.

I didnt have any issues with it at all. Tried the widget as well, found it to be too much for what i needed.

Tags
load applet