Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by sniffingratty View Post
I am not too worried about processing power. I won't even be using it as a phone.

all it has to do is:

have calendar (with reminders), contacts, music, and spreadsheet. other stuff would be nice, but if it can do that stuff then I would go with it.

What program do you use to sync with it?
Spreadsheet app is Gnumeric. There are other choices, but I haven't tired any of them.
I sync Mail for Exchange with Google using Nuevasync.com, it works fine. Calendar sync only is free, too.

The Following User Says Thank You to bennypr0fane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
If I or we only could get a five inch screen n900...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
If I or we only could get a five inch screen n900...
I would have been satisfied with a 3.7 or 3.8 inch screen.
keeping the height of the device as it is now.

The Following User Says Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dragonalas View Post
Sondjata

Like I said, I want something to mess around with. Of course I'm going to use it for functions like Music and maybe a video now and then, but I don't suppose it's going to be that much of an issue. I mean I have a PSP GO and although I have to recharge it multiple times a day due to the crappy battery, it works for me. I guess I can live with it as long as I'm not charging it 6 hours a day for 4 hours worth of usage.
No, it isn't that bad but if you go heavy on the usage you will not make a day.

I don't have any rogue processes running (I keep advanced power monitor and CPU applet running so I can see these kinds of things. I also have the battery patches installed (which helped a bit), but I simply cannot go more than 5 hours with a 3G connection and no WIFI. It will die. WIFI will extend the life which is why I think my connection to SIP and GV may be a part of the issue.
Boot from MMC
Gpodder Cache on MMC
MTube Cache on MMC
Mugen 1800mAh Battery
Addesso USB rollup keyboard
Solio Solar Charger
Holux GPSlim GPS

N810
community SSU
Turbo Diablo
8GB external
Boot from Internal SD
Still no GPS Fix.

N900
Stock
32GB
Many Solar Chargers (Saved bacon during Sandy!)
Inland ProHT BT keyboard
What's this? A GPS Fix? Wowwwwwww

Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
I don't have any rogue processes running (I keep advanced power monitor and CPU applet running so I can see these kinds of things. I also have the battery patches installed (which helped a bit), but I simply cannot go more than 5 hours with a 3G connection and no WIFI. It will die. WIFI will extend the life which is why I think my connection to SIP and GV may be a part of the issue.
You've got a process or IRQ keeping the CPU awake. A properly tuned N900 can go for 4 days with WIFI connection or 2 with FB/Skype polling the WIFI.

Search for Powertop and battery issues on this forum.

To OP, you can get a N900 second hand for about US$100. Bargain. Yes, they're sluggish compared to iPhones and Droids with 10x the specs. But they're still fast enough and you can do anything with them.

The main problem apart from the USB port is the time you have to spend tuning them. Then again, some people like that.

The Following User Says Thank You to _David_ For This Useful Post:
Alright guys, even though this device sounds fantastic, and like the perfect phone for me, my financial situation doesn't allow me to spend this much apparently (jobless student with little to spare isn't the best position to be in) and asking my parents for 350 bucks for a phone I don't need would be a bit too bold from my side.

Being too paranoid to risk buying a way too cheap, possibly fake one from Ebay, and refusing to use a second hand device, I have no choice but to wait a couple of months to see if I manage to somehow be able to afford it. But when it comes to it, I will surely try and join the "developer's team" (Software Engineering student baby).

Thanks for the answers once again.

The Following User Says Thank You to dragonalas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 131 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
I managed to get my hands on several second-hand N900 which were in pristine condition when I bought them for about 150 bucks each.

Just sayin'.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ffha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
I got my N900 as a winner of "Mozilla Mobile Add-ons Challenge" (it was held two years in a row, ten winners each year). However, I cannot even find a page with a list of winners any more, much less a similar competition.
Best wishes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dragonalas View Post
Alright guys, even though this device sounds fantastic, and like the perfect phone for me, my financial situation doesn't allow me to spend this much apparently (jobless student with little to spare isn't the best position to be in) and asking my parents for 350 bucks for a phone I don't need would be a bit too bold from my side.

Being too paranoid to risk buying a way too cheap, possibly fake one from Ebay, and refusing to use a second hand device, I have no choice but to wait a couple of months to see if I manage to somehow be able to afford it. But when it comes to it, I will surely try and join the "developer's team" (Software Engineering student baby).

Thanks for the answers once again.
If you're in the UK, ebay item 181032062769.

I bought a beat up one off ebay a while ago with exactly the same intention as you - to mess around with. The cavat has been the broken USB port. I've been using it with an external charger I had anyway.

I wonder if I should get the soldering iron out.

OK... had a go and the contacts are ripped off the board. Not sure what I can do about that? -drill? hmm...

The N900 is much more linux like than Android imho. The keyboard is much more useful for linux. The hardware is built solidly - the actual ohone could have been much smaller in my opinon. The hardware, although old now is still good.

The operating system seems easier to get into than Android. This is something I'm still learning though - it's difficult without having it plugged in - can I somehow charge the battery directly without the USB socket?

How open is the hardware? One problem we keep having on Android is the modem(radio), GPS and a few other bits being closed. This has put a chilling effect on development. Can you give me a primer on the n900 being hopefully better than that?

The main thing I wanted to do with the n900 was have it constantly ready to go war driving. Unlike Android the drivers are direct in the OS.

I still need some sort of big overview/ tech intro to Meemo and Android though coming from linux. Something just to tell me how to find info in /proc, or the filesystem, or how to look into where apps are or find a file inside an app. Just those things you do on linux normally anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to jago25_98 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Cebu City, Philippines/ San Mateo- CAL
Yes! that's my prob too. Battery life period is too short without a serious warning.

I am 42y & my interests are different, but I've been satisfied to mess around with its applications.
Look, at least, there's a nice forum here to share experiences. Even some others have forum but not useful like this.

regarding age and interest I confess that N900 was my best friend during last 4 years and still I am using it but not as a phone!!?!

Now, I use Nokia C5-00: less and limited applications but I can carry it and the battery answers my need.