Notices

edit.............................................. ..............................

Last edited by moscatomg1; 2011-12-09 at 21:04.

I am not really sure about this but, I wouldn't trust those channels for security purposes, like credit card transactions, passwords etc.
I would only use TOR or proxies for browsing etc.
I am not sure who else might look at information transmitted through TOR.

i would imagine very slowly and very battery hungry on N900. Tor bandwidth is not great with websites like google often slow to load. bittorrent would be even worse

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by moscatomg1 View Post
I mean security wise, though?

And as to what you say: I've tested Transmission (w/ Tor's log confirming that it's working and a browser ip test showing the same), and the torrent through Transmission was at a very fast dl--not slow at all like you indicate. . . . Does that seem to suggest that Tor is *not* working w/ regards to Transmission but only working w/ the browser?
You indeed need to be careful as to what gets routed thru tor. Not everything unless you take steps. One way is via "torify" - a program provided with a tor install on the n900.

So given what I said about Transmission doing dls so quickly, it's suspect whether TOR is working correctly w/ it?

"Torify"? I don't see that app listed in any of the N900 catalogs--not even in extras-devel. Does it have another name?
As I wrote above, it is installed by the package "tor".

I doubt that transmission is "torified" by default.

Mis-communication. I thought you meant that Torify was an app that came with Tor. Well, considering it's the other way around: as far as I see w/ my limited skills, I still can't find any settings or evidence of "Torify" on my device.

And I do have an updated version of TOR. So how can I find these Torify settings?

(They don't seem to be in the convenient TOR status applet.)

I guess this is important in determining if TOR is indeed working w/ Transmission?
Torify IS an app that gets installed when one installs Tor..... It is located at /usr/bin/torify. If Tor is installed it is there. Google for usage. It is run from the CLI.

By the way, I didn't make TOR to connect on my N900 AND on my windows PC. do I need to open some ports on my wireless router in order to connect?
I only made connection to TOR on my computer with an app (Gpass.exe) and only connected via skype)

Torrenting on TOR is an abuse of the service.

Also it will be very very slow.

TOR was designed to allow people to access websites that would otherwise be blocked for them, not so much for protecting your privacy.

Some good talks (well these are the pdf slideshows) on TOR:
* https://www.defcon.org/images/defcon...ledine-tor.pdf (quickview)
* https://www.defcon.org/images/defcon...acking_tor.pdf (quickview)

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
there are alternatives to tor if your looking just for anonymous sharing. i only use tor on laptop if i think a link may be suspicious (shortened urls, certain countries etc) to avoid logging. desktop toolbar turns off javascript etc. hiding ip so that my ip is safer from being targetted by hackers. for normal browsing its too slow.