Notices

Hi

I'm studying Computer Science at Helsinki University and this is my proposal for GSoC10. Comments about my idea are highly appreciated.

The Tablet of Adventure is a tool for generating and sharing location-based adventures with Maemo devices. The adventures may be manually created or follow the Geohashing "automatic adventure generator" concept as popularised by the xkcd comic (#426)

The Tablet of Adventure includes both Geohashed and hand-picked location-based adventures. The Geohashing mode calculates and shows on map the day's Geohashing goal in your area using xkcd's random adventure generating algorithm. You can request the application to show the easiest route to the chosen goal. When you reach your destination you can save a picture from the place and a few thoughts to your adventure log.

You can set the application to alert you if today's Geohashing goal is within your set limitations or when your friends share an adventure.

You can also challenge your friends to take part in an adventure. The inviter sets a goal, and invites friends to join the race. Or one could invite friends to race current day's Geohashing goal. The competitors' location updates would show in your map.

The program would be written in Python and developed out in the open using the Maemo garage. Libraries utilized in the project include libchamplain for map visualization, libmidgard2 for storage and geoclue or liblocation for user location.

/Susanna

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by ihmis-suski View Post
The program would be written in Python and developed out in the open using the Maemo garage. Libraries utilized in the project include libchamplain for map visualization, libmidgard2 for storage and geoclue or liblocation for user location.
I'll be happy to help with this (and probably will help anyway), but if somebody else wants to mentor that'd be cool too

There couple of other Python & Midgard2 powered N900 apps in the works: MaeCalories and Workstreamer, so this would fit well in the series.

Last edited by bergie; 2010-03-30 at 20:11. Reason: Links to other Midgard2 Python apps for Maemo

Posts: 246 | Thanked: 2,574 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Egypt, Cairo
Hi

I'm studying Computer Science at Helsinki University and this is my proposal for GSoC10. Comments about my idea are highly appreciated.

The Tablet of Adventure is a tool for generating and sharing location-based adventures with Maemo devices. The adventures may be manually created or follow the Geohashing "automatic adventure generator" concept as popularised by the xkcd comic (#426)

The Tablet of Adventure includes both Geohashed and hand-picked location-based adventures. The Geohashing mode calculates and shows on map the day's Geohashing goal in your area using xkcd's random adventure generating algorithm. You can request the application to show the easiest route to the chosen goal. When you reach your destination you can save a picture from the place and a few thoughts to your adventure log.

You can set the application to alert you if today's Geohashing goal is within your set limitations or when your friends share an adventure.

You can also challenge your friends to take part in an adventure. The inviter sets a goal, and invites friends to join the race. Or one could invite friends to race current day's Geohashing goal. The competitors' location updates would show in your map.

/Susanna
I'm actually working on a much similar application (but simpler) as part of my Bachelor project, except that we called it Quests instead of Adventures. I'd love to implement your idea on Maemo too. Location based games/apps are currently taking all the spotlight.

Originally Posted by tgalal View Post
I'm actually working on a much similar application (but simpler) as part of my Bachelor project, except that we called it Quests instead of Adventures. I'd love to implement your idea on Maemo too. Location based games/apps are currently taking all the spotlight.
I'd like to work on my idea as a GSoC project. But yeah, if we work together, the result will more likely be a success. Let's see if my proposal gets accepted and then think of how we could work together to make our applications much better.

Posts: 246 | Thanked: 2,574 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Egypt, Cairo
I'd like to work on my idea as a GSoC project. But yeah, if we work together, the result will more likely be a success. Let's see if my proposal gets accepted and then think of how we could work together to make our applications much better.
Great! Looking forward to that

I've now submitted this proposal to GSoC10.

If you have any comments or suggestions for how to make my idea better I have until April 9th to finetune my proposal.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
I've now submitted this proposal to GSoC10.

If you have any comments or suggestions for how to make my idea better I have until April 9th to finetune my proposal.
perhaps a web-based scorecard for racing against friends? say 5 points for getting there first, 3 for second, 1 point for making it at all, little bit of motivation if all your friends keep beating you!

just a thought, i'm no programmer so no idea if it would work.

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Originally Posted by festivalnut View Post
perhaps a web-based scorecard for racing against friends? say 5 points for getting there first, 3 for second, 1 point for making it at all, little bit of motivation if all your friends keep beating you!
That is a good idea, thanks. Maybe I could make it a part of the adventure log, some parts of, or maybe the whole adventure log, could be visible to your friends if you want.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
yeah visible to friends would make it more competitive i reckon, albeit if i take the 5 points the mass-send "ya boo you suck!" texts may be enough to inform my opponents that they're all losers!

and although i didn't even remotely understand the automatic hashing comic i am absolutely LOVING they xkcd comics, honestly, sitting here teary eyed getting funny looks off the family!

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Originally Posted by festivalnut View Post
yeah visible to friends would make it more competitive i reckon, albeit if i take the 5 points the mass-send "ya boo you suck!" texts may be enough to inform my opponents that they're all losers!
Exactly.

and although i didn't even remotely understand the automatic hashing comic i am absolutely LOVING they xkcd comics, honestly, sitting here teary eyed getting funny looks off the family!
To create a geohash you take a box of geographical coordinates around you, called a graticule, combine that with today's date and the opening price of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, and hash them together. This will give you a location that is random but same for everybody in the area on that day. And then the race is on!