I figured out MeeGo phones would come out very late (however not as late as OCT '11). The problem is Nokia's management being late.

I remeber when the iPhone came out, and i told my cousin about it who worked for SonyEricssons R&D. He talked about it at work but everyone ignored it.

Today, Apple sells more than SonyEricsson!

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK, England
Hang on a sec. Maybe this is Nokias way of saying, "Danm... We released a beast and now we need to try and get poeple to leave the n900 and buy the n9 otherwise it's a wasted product" lol

Seriously though in terms of specs one thing that really buggs me is the screen on the N9 is a 4" WVGA which is the resolution of the N900 if im correct?? but yet with the N900 stock or OC'd you can not watch 720p movies. But on the N9 they are saying you can????

Also will we be able to install Maemo on the N9?

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by eikido View Post
I figured out MeeGo phones would come out very late (however not as late as OCT '11)
..and what makes you think there won't be MeeGo handsets before Oct '11?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
Originally Posted by ikirk View Post
Sadly, I think Geonxt could be right. By the time MeeGo is in a usable state (12 months time?) we will have all moved on - and not sure anyone around will want to spend the time needed to make it work well on N900. Oh well...
everyone will move on someday.
i like meego but i don't think that it will be ever in a maemo like usable state on the n900 so for me it isn't worth to stay.
i really love my n900 and loved it alltime.but i go with the time and next year i wan't a phone with far better hardware like hdmi and so on.
meego on n9 yes.
maemo5 on n900 yes
crib meego on n900 hell no

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

The Following User Says Thank You to atilla For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ikirk View Post
Sadly, I think Geonxt could be right. By the time MeeGo is in a usable state (12 months time?) we will have all moved on - and not sure anyone around will want to spend the time needed to make it work well on N900. Oh well...
Oh yeah, we'll move on, all right! Move on ... to N9!

I agree with those saying it may be too late when a consumer meego phone comes out. I think most of us were expecting a maemo 6 meemo compatible device out in time for Christmas. How many are willing to keep waiting, possibly for another 9 months? I for one am due for an upgrade now and though I wanted to get an N9 for my upgrade that is not an option. Most contracts now are 24 months. If I get an android phone and use it for 2 years how willing would I be to switch back to meego in 2 years if I am so used to android. Also imagine how much other operating systems would have moved forward by time meego comes out. Admit it or not Nokia always seems to be behind the times nowadays. For example releasing something as poor as N97 as their flagship like a year after the iphone came out.

Most of us on this site would probably never move to iphone but how many can say they will never move to android if there was nothing else on the cards. Let alone those who could not care less about an open system and just want something cool with tons of apps. I think those arethe people Nokia need to bring in. They can't get by with another niche product like the N900. However, each day there is no meego smartphone to buy is another customer lost to iphone, android and now windows 7. Often lost for at least 2 years and possibly forever. Yes with so many symbian phones being sold Nokia will be fine but they really need to make a big splash in the high end where the real profit is.

Originally Posted by Kamen View Post
Seriously though in terms of specs one thing that really buggs me is the screen on the N9 is a 4" WVGA which is the resolution of the N900 if im correct?? but yet with the N900 stock or OC'd you can not watch 720p movies. But on the N9 they are saying you can????
Yes, that is the same resolution (assuming the leaked spec on the N9 is correct). So you would need to subsample the video to display it full screen on a WVGA res screen.

The reason you can't watch 720p on the N900 has nothing to do with the screen size, but to do with the lack of drivers and insufficient hw caps.

The N9 will presumably use beefier decoding hw.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
For me the question now is "when I'm ready to upgrade which phone software is going to restrict me the least?"

Generally, I don't care too much about the hardware - it's how much freedom will the software allow me?

The n900 is perfect for me because I can write software for it and it's reassuring that the n900 OS is mainly accessable.

Apple's iPhone does not allow you this nor does Windows Mobile 7 (some of its API features are only accessible to "Microsoft Approved Partners" e.g. no ability to change some UI components or it's limited "multi-tasking" features)

There's also the drawback of only allowing you to install apps "approved" by both these companies.

I'll quite happily wait until a Meego device is ready and I don't care if Nokia make it or not. I'll jump to whoever can give me the most flexible product.

Realistically, we are probably talking about a good 9 months or so before a MeeGo phone from Nokia is actually available to customers. There is a possibility another company will beat them to it.

Until things are clearer I'm sticking with my n900 - I'm very happy with it and do not feel the need to buy the next device just because its newer.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
in the Keynotes it was said by next MeeGo conference people will have products in there hands, next conference is 6 months away.
also it was said vendors can start building products based on 1.1 they dont need to wait for reference version to be complete. they will just build on top of it.
the October 11 date people are mentioning on here for MeeGo products is nothing but FUD

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK, England
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
The reason you can't watch 720p on the N900 has nothing to do with the screen size, but to do with the lack of drivers and insufficient hw caps.

The N9 will presumably use beefier decoding hw.
So in thoery are you saying if I can find a codec/decoder for the N900 that the N9/N8 would use and OC my N900 to 1Ghz I'd be able to watch them with out any "Major" problems via the TV output on the device??

If so, Does anyone know where these little devels are at? Would be really nice to be able to watch decent quality movies on there.

I do understand that the screen resolution does not change when the TV output is connected, so I'm guess the phone attemps to "Down Scale" the videos?

I only want to find out because there are quite a few phones out there that display output in HD now. Using the Mini HD port. Shame the N900 never had it considering how long HD has been out.

Tags
meego