Notices

I had some free time and came up with this. The Tablet of Adventure as a concept brings to my mind the Famous Five books I used to read as a kid. So pack up your lunch and go for an Adventure!

Last edited by ihmis-suski; 2010-04-07 at 13:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to ihmis-suski For This Useful Post:
This looks really interesting, I have alot of ideas for this software. Unfortunately there is one problem with designing one for the N900.

Being a niche device, not many people will have them compared to the iPhone (dare I mention it here). I think that if the Maemo community built clients that access the same data as iPhones/Android or Symbian devices they would be phenomenal.

For instance I want to create a location game in gpsmission for my work colleagues, then into the pub afterwards, but that's another story GPSmission allows clues and riddles to be embeddded, that's what I need

Two of them have iPhones, four have symbian devices, and I have a Nokia 5800 soon to be an N900. For these geogames to be effective they will have to be compatible or at least have clients for a variety of devices. (will there be a standard in future?)

I can see this really take off though, stag nights, hen parties, kiddies parties, school assignments, corporate team building etc.

I am not a programmer and for this to take off someone will have to do alot of work so I dont expect you guys to spend your own time on this.

Thanks for reading

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by drummerac View Post
Being a niche device, not many people will have them compared to the iPhone (dare I mention it here). I think that if the Maemo community built clients that access the same data as iPhones/Android or Symbian devices they would be phenomenal.
A nice thing about geohashes is that they're the same for everybody in a given area on a given day. Regardless of device :-)

Of course the additional social features would need to be programmed separately for other platforms, but at least the basic idea of "random adventures" works.

Congratulations! Your proposal "The Tablet of Adventure: a location-based social adventure" has been accepted for Google Summer of Code 2010

I have started a blog where I will be updating my progress.

http://cannonerd.wordpress.com/

Originally Posted by ihmis-suski View Post
I have started a blog where I will be updating my progress.

http://cannonerd.wordpress.com/
I just uploaded her first release to extras-devel (should appear in testing soon as well): http://maemo.org/packages/view/adventure-tablet/

what pops in to my head when reading this thread:

There should definitely be some central shared place for scoreboards and other info relating to this, if there isn't all ready.

Naturally that should be tied to xkcd and/or that community and should supply an API for any client software...

Originally Posted by mannakiosk View Post
There should definitely be some central shared place for scoreboards and other info relating to this, if there isn't all ready.

Naturally that should be tied to xkcd and/or that community and should supply an API for any client software...
The project plan includes some social/sharing features, probably using the Qaiku social APIs. But we'll see how far she can get the app within the GSoC scope

I had discussions today with somebody from Nokia who suggested also integrating some photo sharing to the app... requesting user to share a picture when they reach the goal.

That’s it. I claim my GSoC10 project finished.

And what did I actually do? I coded like a mad person at times, slept much too little, found myself in odd places, took some time off and did nothing related to my project, swam in the sea of despair, learned a lot and had fun.

The application is not in all parts what I planned it to be and in some parts it’s more than I expected. Now the version 1.0 is in extras-testing. It would be nice to hear some testing reports, the bug tracker can be found in GitHub . Hopefully soon enough I’ll have the opportunity to just lay back and watch people going on their adventures. A short introduction to the application can be found in my blog.

Although the GsoC10 project is finished, the work with the Tablet of Adventure is not. I have couple of ideas of how I could make my software more versatile. And then there will be the versions. First an Ubuntu desktop version, so you can watch where your friends are going. And if I get to an agreement with my University I’ll make my software run on Android too. And so on. This was only the beginning.

Last edited by ihmis-suski; 2010-08-02 at 15:34.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ihmis-suski For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
The project plan includes some social/sharing features, probably using the Qaiku social APIs. But we'll see how far she can get the app within the GSoC scope
I've been doing a bit of field testing with the app, and the social features do indeed work pretty well. You can see the other players moving on the map and their comments in the log: