Notices

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Hi,
recently I updated maemo-mapper as I got the update info in app manager after I added diablo extras-devel repo. Update was successful and application was working fine as well but after I installed the maemo-mapper-topomaps-fi, maemo-mapper stopped opening at all. So I uninstalled topomaps-fi but didn't help. So i uninstalled maemo-mapper itself, rebooted IT and disabled the diablo extras-devel and installed the fresh maemo-mapper I previously had even before updating but it doesn't open at all. I have done it numerous times now but with the same result. Installation goes well but application doesnlt start at all and while trying from xterm giving cmd 'maemo-mapper' it gives me 'Segmentation fault' message and nothing happens. I'm wondering what went wrong and how i can fix it.. thanks.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Mapper Mapper configuration isn't cleared when you remove the ap. You can see the actual values with the "configuration editer" package under apps-> maemo-> maemo-mapper. No doubt you can do some damage messing around with these parameters so be careful and save anything you change for restoration. Most Linux systems running Gnome anyway store all this data in your home directory in hidden folder .gconf. In that case you can locate the maemo mapper folder and delete it which would cause maemo mapper to create a new default configuration the next time it started. I don't know where the .gconf data is stored on the tablet. There is a .maemo-mapper folder in your home folder but I believe it serves a different purpose.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Hi fragos, thanks for the reply but I couldn't make any use of it. I had the .maemo-mapper folder but while uninstalling the app I manually deleted it as well thinking it will be recreated while installing but now after installing also there is no any such directory. I guess it gets created only if I could run it successfully once but its not happening. Is there any other file like canola has 'atabake.conf' that maemo-mapper also has completely different than its name which I need to configure? Thanks..

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
There is such a file but it isn't where I'm used to finding it in Linux systems. I know it's somewhere because the Configuration Editor knows about it. I'd expect to find it in /home/user/.gconf but that file doesn't exist. Configuration Editer has the package name gconf-editor which is in the Extras repository.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following User Says Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
Thanks fragos I could find the %gconf.xml under /var/lib/gconf/apps/maemo/maemo-mapper/. I deleted the file after I uninstalled maemo-mapper and reinstalled it and now its working. Thanks for your help.

The Following User Says Thank You to jaeezzy For This Useful Post:
after a crash while using several progs including mapper, it no longer opens. MM opens for about a second then s uts down. This is what i get. any ideas?

~ $ maemo-mapper
maemo-mapper[1705]: GLIB DEBUG ConIc - con_ic_connection_send_event(0x140700, dffcc7c8-eaff-4c43-a29d-68f80b7770be, WLAN_INFRA, 0)
maemo-mapper[1705]: GLIB CRITICAL ** Gtk - gtk_widget_hide: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
maemo-mapper[1705]: GLIB CRITICAL ** Gtk - gtk_widget_unrealize: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
maemo-mapper[1705]: GLIB CRITICAL ** Gtk - gtk_widget_realize: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
maemo-mapper[1705]: GLIB CRITICAL ** Gtk - gtk_widget_show: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
gdbm fatal: read error

The Following User Says Thank You to dantonic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
Hi fragos, thanks for the reply but I couldn't make any use of it. I had the .maemo-mapper folder but while uninstalling the app I manually deleted it as well thinking it will be recreated while installing but now after installing also there is no any such directory. I guess it gets created only if I could run it successfully once but its not happening. Is there any other file like canola has 'atabake.conf' that maemo-mapper also has completely different than its name which I need to configure? Thanks..
wow, thanks frank.
I had the exact same problem with maemo mapper...wouldn't start. I think its from me adding a new repository and maybe it not liking where i saved it..or the name i gave the repository...dunno.
So at first I did a full update of the firmware(even though it was up to date) with the Nokia Software Updater in the desktop computer ...and still no luck.
Yes, i tried re-installing maemo-mapper a few times to no luck.
Then i saw this post....you are correct, the gconf file remains. Why would this remain after uninstall of maemo mapper???? because it is still in dev version?
Anyway , also installed Emelfm2 package from this post (which is a great file manager)
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=35490&page=9
...found the gconf , deleted it. Maemo-mapper didnt start at first, but after a restart of the n900, then it started fine.
...sweet, I was about to do a full flash from the command line flasher...wasnt too excited about that.
This seems to be a good trick if there are problems with a certain app and a reinstall doesnt fix it.

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
Thanks fragos I could find the %gconf.xml under /var/lib/gconf/apps/maemo/maemo-mapper/. I deleted the file after I uninstalled maemo-mapper and reinstalled it and now its working. Thanks for your help.
I did exactly the same thing several times, but I couldn't make it work, until I had an idea of installing it in a different folder.
After that it finally worked for me, too!!

btw, the problem appeared to my N810 when I installed maemo-mapper-topomaps-fi, like jaeezzy, and I can't understand why...

Last edited by mad_nassos; 2010-03-01 at 22:17.

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by dantonic View Post
after a crash while using several progs including mapper, it no longer opens. MM opens for about a second then s uts down. This is what i get. any ideas?

~ $ maemo-mapper
maemo-mapper[1705]: GLIB DEBUG ConIc - con_ic_connection_send_event(0x140700, dffcc7c8-eaff-4c43-a29d-68f80b7770be, WLAN_INFRA, 0)
maemo-mapper[1705]: GLIB CRITICAL ** Gtk - gtk_widget_hide: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
maemo-mapper[1705]: GLIB CRITICAL ** Gtk - gtk_widget_unrealize: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
maemo-mapper[1705]: GLIB CRITICAL ** Gtk - gtk_widget_realize: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
maemo-mapper[1705]: GLIB CRITICAL ** Gtk - gtk_widget_show: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
gdbm fatal: read error
Οk, after all these months of not having a problem, I get this error, but only when I zoom to several areas.
The funny thing is that I may have already downloaded these specific areas before, but in other cases I may not. But the problem remains the same...