Posts: 144 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
I changed my mind. I wrote earlier that I won't update 3G/4G radio switcher to include 2G option as such mode is available in mobile network settings. However I got an idea to create application running in cover UI only and radio switcher felt like feasible application to try it.

Here we are with totally renewed Radio Switcher 0.2 running with cover UI only. You can toggle between 2G (gsm), 3G (umts with fallback to gsm) and 4G (lte only) on multitasking screen.

Radio Switcher installation package is available from OpenRepos and with Warehouse repository client.

Application can be quit either by clicking it twice or by using system gestures with hold and press until application can be closed from (X).

Available versions:
  • 0.1 with two application icons 3G and 4G, with no application window
  • 0.2.1 with single renewed application icon and cover UI for switching cellular radio technology

I will keep both versions available until Jolla will publish official 4G/LTE support, so you can choose which UI you prefer to use.

Radio Switcher does not have any own local or remote data storage, but instead it changes system configurations. No application logging or remote statistics logging or other communication either.

Changes:

Version 0.2.1 updated to fix signal strength calculation and add operator and active network technology to cover view.
Attached Images

Last edited by Penguin; 2014-03-12 at 10:25.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Penguin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Do you have sources hosted somewhere? I would prefer tweaking it so that the fallback to incoming calls would work in LTE
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
You guys make me learn new things every day. Wasn't, but now source code is available in:
https://github.com/JanneEdelman/radio-switcher

Last edited by Penguin; 2014-03-12 at 10:24.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Penguin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
This is very nice. Anyone try this in Canada. Unless I'm mistaken one of the LTE bands for Jolla (2600Mhz Band 5) should work in some parts of Canada (BELL).

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 268 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Wow effect was real good. Tried myself. After several rounds of frequency switching 2G and 4G worked well, but at 3G phone did not make network connection. In settings my mobile network connection was disabled and I was not able to enable it. So I finally resorted to reboot. That sorted it out.

Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
4G only can use for connected power supply? seem I can use 4G without connected power supply

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by TMavica View Post
4G only can use for connected power supply? seem I can use 4G without connected power supply
It works also without, so must be just the network area that you are in.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following User Says Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
It works also without, so must be just the network area that you are in.
I think TMavica had Warehouse description in mind that warns about very high power consumption on 4G and suggests power supply. From experience is not that bad at all

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 268 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
I have tried this twice without power supply, and it did not eat my brain nor battery too much. I have not used 4G for more than 10 minutes at a time, and I have not noticed significant drop of the battery level during my try outs.

Location matters, if the reception is poor, equipment usually use more power.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tsippaduida For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Am I missing something here now...??

AFAIK there's no 4G (LTE, that is) available in the Jolla device, at least not in SailfishOS ver. 1.0.3.8 which I am running.
So have you got a newer update lately?

Tags
cellular radio, jolla