Some of this is probably not news to any of you following the Maemo Leste thread actively, but here it is, our end of the year 2019 update:

https://maemo-leste.github.io/maemo-...mber-2019.html

Happy new year TMO!

The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to Wizzup_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
Its amazing what huge progress the developer team has made!

I congratulate you all to the huge achievements, especially with the small team, and am looking forward to a completley free and light mobile operating system which combines all the goodies from the original Maemo with a modern system and fresh ideas.

I would be quite happy to see an updated installation image for the N900 sometime in January.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Thanks to the team for the news and continuous work. The progress is really nice and the successful funding is a great news, congratulations! I have no idea how much it covers but hope it's a lot! Does it imply new milestones and deliverables that might be a bit out of the original plan? In my field, that's usually how project go.

I realized in the OpenFest video how cheap the Droid 4 is now. However nostalgic I am about my N900 and its hardware peculiarities, I wouldn't be against some better specs to test Leste, so why not buying a cheap Droid 4 off eBay. One question though: I see many Verizon units, but won't use Verizon, do I need an unlocked version or will Leste remove any provider limitations anyway?

I am also really looking forward to any test on the F(x)tec Proš when you finally receive the unit that was promised. It would make an amazing combination, even though I'm not sure how much work would be necessary to mainline the Proš on the longer term. This device would be fantastic with PostmarketOS too, can't wait to boot both these OSes on mine.

I typed this whole post on the Proš in just a couple minutes, including BBCODE tags, with no touch keyboard typos and corrections nightmare. Feels so great.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
so why not buying a cheap Droid 4 off eBay.
Sold :P

Just to be sure never having owned one, we are talking about Motorola Droid 4 (XT894), correct?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
Bought one just a few days ago. Maybe i will test Leste on it. Seems good

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
Thats the one.

You will find many unlocked units. In the United States they can be bought for below 30$.

Be aware however, that the keyboard and general handling of the Droid4 come nowhere near the N900 (for me) and that the lack of usual modifier keys is annoying. Although I am sure Leste has a sensible keymap.

The Sailfish port for the device is in an not-yet-usable state and the last Lineage OS came early 2019. Multiboot is easy.

Edit: @deutch1976 I wouldn't call covering the shipping costs "bought"

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
Originally Posted by Macros View Post
Thats the one.

You will find many unlocked units. In the United States they can be bought for below 30$.

Be aware however, that the keyboard and general handling of the Droid4 come nowhere near the N900 (for me) and that the lack of usual modifier keys is annoying. Although I am sure Leste has a sensible keymap.

The Sailfish port for the device is in an not-yet-usable state and the last Lineage OS came early 2019. Multiboot is easy.

Edit: @deutch1976 I wouldn't call covering the shipping costs "bought"
Sorry. Offered by Macros Droid 4. Only had to pay shpping and a battery

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 166 | Thanked: 454 times | Joined on Apr 2015 @ Poland
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
One question though: I see many Verizon units, but won't use Verizon, do I need an unlocked version or will Leste remove any provider limitations anyway?
From what I read on the XDA the Droid 4 is restricted to Verizon network in the USA only. Outside the USA you can use it with any 2G, 3G or 4G network. Although, 4G will not work in European region as the Droid 4 does not support any LTE band used here. I was able to use it on 2G and 3G in Poland (I have not tested it with Leste, though).
From historical perspective, firstly, the GSM was somehow locked but later it has been unlocked by Verizon with an Android OS upgrade and now it works in the way I described before.

Last edited by mp107; 2020-01-01 at 18:26.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mp107 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Thanks mp107, so a Verizon-locked would be enough for me unless I want to travel with it to the US (but I won't, I'll take my main phone when travelling).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post: