Notices

Hello everybody,

I have a N900, and over here we use MMS a lot, more than SMS.

I know about fmms, I have read about it in the forums, installed it, configured it, etc.
The problem is that it is extremely unreliable, sometimes people send me an mms and I don't receive it, or any notification, or anything. I have no way to know if I am missing important messages (or do I?).

Today my friend sent me an mms and I didn't receive it. Not even a notification saying it could not be downloaded.
Then I got home and sent myself some messages (from an email gateway), and the first few didn't arrive, after fiddling with settings, rebooting, etc, I got one message, but where are the rest? Are they lost forever or are they waiting in some server for fmms to download them?
If for some reason fmms was not able to retrieve an mms, is there any way to force it to try again? I have no idea of how MMS works, but I want my messages.

I am using fmms 1.3.4, but I found the git repository of fmms in http://gitorious.org/fmms and it looks like there was some development after 1.3.4, before the project was abandoned (is it abandoned?). Anybody knows if this is stable and works better than 1.3.4?

Thanks!

Have you tried using another phone to test mms reception? Maybe your problems are related to some fault in cellular network...

I do not use MMS that much, anyway never missed one using fMMS (sending or receiving on italian cellular network).

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
and remember to set from device settings if you have setup the right mms gateways etc in there.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
You can always check the official thread or try to contact frals, who wrote it as well.

In case anybody is interested, I changed the code a bit to write the mms text content to a a file in /home/user/MyDocs.

I added this to fmmsd.py, at the beginning:

Code:
import datetime
mms_logfile = '/home/user/MyDocs/mms.txt'
And then, at the beginning of HandleWAPPush:

Code:
        try:
            s_header = ''
            for x in header:
                if (x >= 32 and x <= 126) or x in [10, 13]:
                    s_header += chr(x)
            s_payload = ''
            for x in payload:
                if (x >= 32 and x <= 126) or x in [10, 13]:
                    s_payload += chr(x)
            log_datetime = datetime.datetime.now().strftime('%Y-%m-%d %H:%M')
            f = open(mms_logfile, 'a')
            f.write('--- %s ---\nHeader:\n%s\nPayload:\n%s\n---\n' % (log_datetime, s_header, s_payload))
            f.close()
        except Exception, error:
            log.exception('Could not write mms log to %s: %s\n' % (mms_logfile, error))
I am kind of interested in rewriting the whole thing in C, but it would take a lot of effort. Has anybody else thought about this?

The Following User Says Thank You to lameventanas For This Useful Post: