Active Topics

Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by jakibaki View Post
The latter. The drm-stuff is gone once you unlock your bootloader and by restoring it (if you backed it up before unlocking) you re-lock the bootloader.
Ah okay. I thought that maybe the Emma flash tool could install images approved by Sony with DRM stuff intact, no warning boot message and no need to unlock bootloader but assumed wrong.

If Jolla need to obey Sony and use their tool in order to be allowed to release some software for the Xperia X the Open Device Program is not so open after all neither are the binary drivers.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LouisDK For This Useful Post:
Seems the F5122 model is pretty much gone from the market. All I find are some online shops offering them for horrendous prices (but don't actually have them in stock) or some rose-gold ones on ebay.
That's a pity as I'd prefer a dual-sim device and could just convince myself to order one with the big uncertainties (bluetooth and model support) solved.

Seems I'll have to order a F5121 after all....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jenix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 843 times | Joined on Jul 2015 @ Berlin, Germany
I have deleted some of my previous posts because they could be read as if i was quoting some official statement from Jolla, but in reality the screenshots i have shared was a user talking about the process and it was no way an official statement from Jolla.

As i understand this is the deal:

Third party vendors (Jolla) are not allowed to distribute images with the blobs inside and the workaround that Jolla was going to use before wasn't easy enough for the average user.

The new official solution for that is moving the blobs to a special partition so third party vendors can distribute their images without bundling the blobs themselves.

This partition is not writable in fastboot mode (the mode that's going to be used to flash the Sailfish-X image) so Sony is going to release an update to the bootloader (especially for Jolla ) which allows makes this partition writable in fastboot mode.

This update can only officially be applied in sonys special flashmode with emma (sonys official flash-tool).

That's how afaik the official way will be and because Emma is an windows-only tool the official way will be windows only for now.

Everything below this is an unofficial way and unless Jolla decides to add this as an official way don't complain at Jolla if it doesn't work out!

That special partition is also writable in recovery mode.

So if you boot from an recovery image and flash the blobs from there you can bypass the requirement for Emma and flash the rest of the image the old way via fastboot which will enable people to unofficially flash everything using Linux/MacOS.

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to jakibaki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 10 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Oct 2017 @ country of yorkshire

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by jakibaki View Post
Because Sony wouldn't want business with them anymore if they don't fulfill the requirements they gave to Jolla, legally binding or not.

Also there probably is something that prevents Jolla from legally distributing these blobs, Sony has nothing to gain by forcing people to use Emma (afaik they even added support for the Xperia X just to make this possible so it's even more work for them).
They don't? Seriously, This perfect way to control what people run on their device.

So pissed that I bought a sony phone now. I should have keep't my FP2!

Not even Nokia with the N9 mess was that stupid as Sony is now.

This really is needed to succed NOW:

https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

So sick and tired of Android domination and locked in hell.

If jolla don't port sailfish to librem I don't care it is up to them but if they are smart they do.

For me Sony is over.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 843 times | Joined on Jul 2015 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
They don't? Seriously, This perfect way to control what people run on their device.

So pissed that I bought a sony phone now. I should have keep't my FP2!

Not even Nokia with the N9 mess was that stupid as Sony is now.

This really is needed to succed NOW:

https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

So sick and tired of Android domination and locked in hell.

If jolla don't port sailfish to librem I don't care it is up to them but if they are smart they do.

For me Sony is over.
Did you even read my new post? Sony isn't forcing Jolla to use emma... And if they wanted to control what people run on their phones they just wouldn't make their bootloaders unlockable and certainly wouldn't release aosp-sources for their devices...

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to jakibaki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
it seems that switching to tinfoil hats would be a better business for jolla ATM

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
it seems that switching to tinfoil hats would be a better business for jolla ATM
Yeah, I would definitely need one of those.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
where can I get this wallpaper?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
where can I get this wallpaper?

https://cdn-blog.jolla.com/wp-conten...8/Blog_640.jpg
In the Sailfish X image I guess

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maximilian1st For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x