Notices

so i sudo gainrooted, copyed your line but nothing happened... i tried the game and this is still the same
I asked where i can find .accelemymote/main.cfg because like this i could maybe also change the speed of how it's turn right and left.

trying to do it, trying to do it

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by tangs View Post
so i sudo gainrooted, copyed your line but nothing happened... i tried the game and this is still the same
I asked where i can find .accelemymote/main.cfg because like this i could maybe also change the speed of how it's turn right and left.

trying to do it, trying to do it
Don't be sudo gainrooting on a whim: it's asking for trouble. For example, you've now made the config file belong to root, so that the app can't alter it. Sudo gainroot and type:
chown user ~/.accelemymote/main.cfg
and then type exit and don't sudo again unless you know why you are doing it.

The tilde (~) represents your home directory to the shell, so ~/.accelemymote/main.cfg is the full location of the file. It's in your home directory under a hidden subdirectory (begins with '.') called .accelemymote.

You are right though that it doesn't do anything (besides change the value in the config file). Apparently it's not using that option properly yet. Next version...

You can try changing the poll_rate parameter in the file to something lower, but in Doom you are either moving, running, or not moving. I'm not sure there is a "slower". If there is, it will be via analog joystick support which is not implemented yet.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-02-24 at 20:45.

"Sudo gainroot and type:
and then type exit "
I did it, nothing happened after this, i suppose this is the way it should be ?

As you see, i'm ready to risk my life to try it

Originally Posted by tangs View Post
"Sudo gainroot and type:
and then type exit "
I did it, nothing happened after this, i suppose this is the way it should be ?

As you see, i'm ready to risk my life to try it
All that does is reset the permissions on the config file. It wouldn't actually "do" anything after running the command (IE no output if successful). This is why kiddies shouldn't play with root in the first place
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Nice, that's what I was searching for, already wanted to write it myself

But the offset_pitch doesn't seem to work here... Changed it to 35, 60, even 350, and the zero position is always nearly horizontal (about 5-10 degrees maybe). Is this a bug or am I just too stupid? :P

Descent is running pretty good with it though (Ignoring the fact that I have to play it in strange positions because the offset_pitch isn't recognized ). But it got some framerate-problems with the software-renderer, especially in the energy-charging areas. There seems to be a OpenGL ES port in work, but it's not complete and the source isn't released to the public up to now so I couldn't try it out yet :/

The Following User Says Thank You to LordNelson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by LordNelson View Post
Nice, that's what I was searching for, already wanted to write it myself

But the offset_pitch doesn't seem to work here... Changed it to 35, 60, even 350, and the zero position is always nearly horizontal (about 5-10 degrees maybe). Is this a bug or am I just too stupid? :P
Thanks for trying it out. And yeah, as i noted a few posts back, offset seems to not work as intended. I threw it in at the last minute before the first release because i was running out of time. It will be fixed next release.

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Thanks for trying it out. And yeah, as i noted a few posts back, offset seems to not work as intended. I threw it in at the last minute before the first release because i was running out of time. It will be fixed next release.
Okay, will wait for the next release then.
Beside this bug it's really a great application, thanks a lot for it

Version 0.0.2 just went through the autobuilder and should be available momentarily.

Changelog:
accelemymote (0.0.2) unstable; urgency=low

* Fixed ini config file parser (offset_pitch now works).
* Abstracted polling for a frame into a function (enables samples option).

-- Flandry <davidfalkayn@gmail.cmo> Mon, 1 Mar 2010 16:52:17 -0500

Valid options (~/.accelemymote/main.cfg):
[Sampling]
samples = 2 ; Samples to average for each frame (1-5) [2]
frame_rate = 24 ; Number of event-generating timesteps per second (1-30)[24]
[Control]
flip_pitch = -1 ; -1=> tilt forward is up; 1=> tilt forward is down [-1]
offset_pitch = 30 ; degrees tilt backwards to the neutral position [30]
max_roll = 9 ; degrees plus/minus from neutral to max out the axis [9]
max_pitch = 7 ; degrees plus/minus from neutral to max out the axis [7]

It will clobber your existing main.cfg file. Just FYI.

Edit: Works pretty well with PrBoom with default settings. Still too spammy for uqm. Gauntlet is "interesting" but not really enjoyable; Rampage middling; someone with mad Centipede skills might find that entertaining (really, really fast movement... ); Joust is not too bad; ghosts 'n goblins has a weird ladder climbing issue. Some tweaks to config might make a big difference for some of these.

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-03-02 at 07:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
just so you know this app is compatible with sixaxis daemon!

i have made an app icon, if you like it.....feel free to use it.

EDIT: updated icon

Attached Images

Last edited by F2thaK; 2010-03-02 at 14:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
PrBoom turns out to be a really bad test case. While it actually needs redundant joystick events to be spammed to work properly, most apps don't really appreciate that.

Version 0.0.3 brings better defaults for everything (except prboom). To use it with prboom, edit the main.cfg and reduce the maximum pitch and roll to around 8 and the thresholds to 0. Alternatively, edit and copy the file to prboom.cfg and pass that as the only parameter to the accelemymote binary. I.e.
/opt/maemo/usr/bin/accelemymote ~/.accelemymote/prboom.cfg

accelemymote (0.0.3) unstable; urgency=low

* Enabled threshold angle change between events (fixes many control issues).
* Better universal default settings (PrBoom has special needs).

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-03-02 at 21:14.

Tags
accelerometer, analog input, game controls, joystick, menu selection, mouse please, tilt