I'm currently using the SU-8W with my 3230 phone at present. As I understand it, the keyboard must be able to detect the 770 in order to connect to it, which is what the NWK actually does. Basically, the phone must be switched on first, then the keyboard. With a rewriting of some of the drivers and connectivity software, I don't see anyone using the NWK with the 770. Aside from the fact that it's a sh*te build quality. Get a Think Outside one instead!

My brother has a Think Outside BT keyboard. I'll try to have him send it over so I can test it with the 770 (when i get a 770).

Does the 770 feature an IrDA port at all? - it would get around the whole discovery issue altogether. It would also be a damn sight cheaper as well and ThinkOutside does a lovely one for half the price of the BT version.

On a seperate note, I'd also like to get my hands on the stylish albino 770 that was doing the rounds on the net not all that long ago.

Hmm, I'm wondering if there's an IrDA port as well since the specs doesn't indicate it. I wonder if you can beam contacts/memos from phones/pda's to the Nokia 770.

I have a Think Outside IrDA keyboard. If the Nokia 770 has an IrDA port, I'll be glad to test it too.

Hello,

The 770 will not offer IrDa connection. As far as the SU-8W it will not work for the 770. The keyboard requires both HID and GAP Bluetooth Profiles. From what I understand the 770 will only offer Generic Access, SIM Access, File Transfer, and Serial Port Profiles.

Last edited by FoulPlay; 2005-08-17 at 03:52.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by Masamune
On a separate note, I'd also like to get my hands on the stylish albino 770 that was doing the rounds on the net not all that long ago.
Turns out that was an early, early prototype whose color was long ago changed.

Sorry, no albino 770.

To do this you need an applet to allow the Nokia 770 to browse for the keyboard from:

http://770.fs-security.com/keyboards.html

This is an early version of such software, and there are a few niggles: the keyboard and Nokia 770 don't always manage to connect (typing '0000' on the keyboard might help it connect when they are trying to pair-- but that could just be coincidence), and typing on the keyboard is not counted as activity by the Nokia 770 when it is counting down to blanking the screen (aka screen saver).

On the other hand it is pretty amazing to type emails and notes on the device using your keyboard... the onscreen keyboard will dissappear giving you the whole screen to work with.

I am hoping such a feature will be included in a future release of the OS software.

Picked up on of these last night, works great with Tomas Junnonen's plugin. I'm wondering if its possible to achieve closer integration between the keyboard and the 770, i.e., currently as far as I can tell you still have to use the hard buttons on the 770 for zooming, bringing up the menus, etc. There's certainly no shortage of buttons on the keyboard that could be mapped to such things.

Anyone have a suggestion on any easy changes that might enable additional Nokia wireless keyboard functionality?

Cheers,

Michael

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Bee-u-tee-ful Garden Home, Oregon
Michael-

I suspect we'll have to wait for a future release from Nokia to add those features, but I could be wrong. You can find the source code at the bottom here http://770.fs-security.com/keyboards.html). I looked at it, and I think I can see where it'd be possible to add additional key mappings but I (a) didn't test it and (b) don't really know my a** from a hole in the ground.

Plus, I hate the screen timeout problem while you're typing. From what little I've read I think it'd be simple to implement, but can't help wonder if it was only a few lines why didn't the author do it? Regardless, I want to mess with it.

What I'm really jonsing for now is support for the bluetooth HID profile, so we can use a bluetooth mouse. That would be so nice (I just got my keyboard today but I keep looking for a mouse).

BTW... anyone else find bluetooth a bit unstable? If I have more than one device I find that the devices will suddenly disconnect or need to be reset before they will connect again. I'm hoping this is something that can be corrected by a future software release.

The screen dimming I don't find all that problematic, when using the keyboard I max out the dim times, but it would be nice to not have to touch the screen. Only wish they had put some kind of locking mechanism so the Nokia keyboard could be used on one's lap.