Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by velox View Post
I'd be okay with manually rotating the screen
Wait, rotating the screen? Are we talking about the same device? The one that looks like a mini laptop? Why on earth would anyone want to rotate the screen on that?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Wait, rotating the screen? Are we talking about the same device? The one that looks like a mini laptop? Why on earth would anyone want to rotate the screen on that?
At least the screen on the GPD Win seems to be "natively portrait", I just guessed it's the same here. In that case you'd need to rotate it to use it like a regular laptop. But I can see how this would be confusing without this explanation.
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by velox View Post
At least the screen on the GPD Win seems to be "natively portrait"
Really?!

I have no reason to doubt that information and I am happy to believe you especially if you have used one of those but I find it rather unexpected, if not downright shocking. All the pics I have seen are in landscape. There is a fixed keyboard attached permanently too the device. On hinges, not a slider, hence no way to turn the screen to portrait without a keyboard sticking awkwardly to the side. And finally, although I believe that Windows can be used in portrait, it would not be my first choice. "Natively portrait" is not what I would expect.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I haven't used one myself, just watched some (maybe a few more than "some") YouTube videos. The reason seems to be that the cheaply available screens used for this are actually made for tablets, which are mostly(?) portrait by design, just like their smaller phone siblings.
___

Last edited by velox; 2017-04-19 at 09:48. Reason: remove copypasta grammar weirdness

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
I'll just leave this here.
Thanks for comment. The Ubuntu version haven't finished now. It should can be finished in the beginning of May. Once it is finished. We will show the details to you all soon.
With shipping target of june, there's not a lot of time left. Past estimations for updates/videos in this campaign were at most one week late, IIRC, so I'm again (actually still) hopeful.
___

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
If they cannot have a working port-of-ubuntu for the device when it is shipping, what's the backup plan?
Are they going to ship the devices with windoze and ask for people to hack up the linux version by themselves?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
If they cannot have a working port-of-ubuntu for the device when it is shipping, what's the backup plan?
Are they going to ship the devices with windoze and ask for people to hack up the linux version by themselves?
Perhaps do what other vendors have done. Install FreeDOS and ship on time. Then allow the users to install Linux once complete.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I guess they'd adopt standard Indiegogo procedure of refunding half the backer's money next year and the other one whenever.

Joking aside, I really see these options:
- Delay all shipments (not likely, but possible and within the scope of what's promised from the start).
- Break a promise and deliver the linux after the windows one.
- Break a bigger promise and deliver with windows (isn't the OEM license free for this screen size?) while finishing the linux "firmware" as they call it to reinstall later.
- Break a huge promise and just abandon all linux efforts, effectively also killing their credibility for further campaigns.

Edit:
But I hope we'll never find out.
___

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
They've confirmed a slight delay today with Linux development in the comments – but if things go according to plan, it might just be a one week delay (depending on how one interprets "beginning of may") to "within the next two weeks":
I am sorry, the full firmware of Ubuntu haven't confirmed now. It should can be finished within this two week. Once it is finished,we will share the video to your all soon.
Not at all unsurprising and no real cause for concern yet.
___

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Aaand another info-bump:
I just confirmed with our technical team. For the Ubuntu firmware,they are doing the final debug work now. We will share the update news or demonstration video very soon. Thanks so much for your patience.
So still in line with the last estimation.
___

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post: