Just curious.. would this also enable it to work with the controls on a bluetooth headset? Otherwise there's no point in me using this (I can use the transmitter that came with my SOYO HS11 headphones)

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Just curious.. would this also enable it to work with the controls on a bluetooth headset? Otherwise there's no point in me using this (I can use the transmitter that came with my SOYO HS11 headphones)
NO you cannot control the playlist with the buttons on the headset. It just ouputs the audio onto the bluetooth headset.

That would be AVRCP, not A2DP.

Iirc Bluez should handle AVRCP commands, what happens to them after that is anyone's guess, but I think it should work with mplayer, Kagu. It won't work with the built-in media player, but then again nor does a2dp (yet).

I have trouble with using A2DP with Canola/mplayer and Maemo mapper (or any other heavy application) at the same time.
I discovered that the problem can be solved if after I start Canola I "renice" the atabake process to have a priority of -10. That way when atabake forks a mplayer process, that is given the same higher priority. This mostly fixes the skipping when running maemo-mapper and canola at the same time.

The question is: since maemo does not have a "nice" command, how do I start Canola with a higher priority, without having to do it after Canola is already running (with "renice").

Or is there another solution that any of you know of?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
That would be AVRCP, not A2DP.
Ah ok, does the tablet or has someone hacked support for it yet? My headset supports both A2DP, AVRCP, HSP, and more.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Lardman, a quick question: What, in your opinion, are the things that are preventing Nokia from including A2DP support in their standard build? Is it the lack of maturity in the Bluez code? Is it the lack of DSP code for A2DP support? Is it a worry that the A2DP codec will draw-down too many resources which might cause other functions to hiccup? (Eg., causing simultaneous audio-streaming and A2DP listening to not work well together). Or just, that A2DP is a low priority?

It seems that A2DP support is a no-brainer, and yet it's not provided. I can't help but think there is a deeper reason. It's reminiscent of the issue with Maemo Skype: There is the hardware facility to do video calls, and a *lot* of consumer desire, but Skype is still restricted to audio only. I can only conclude that there is not enough computing horsepower to do video well enough. Could the same principle apply to A2DP?

Here's another observation. On my N75 phone, I am able to stream a real audio stream from www.radio.cz, and play it over my bluetooth receiver unit on my home audio system. No glitches or pitch changes.

What makes my N75 so much better than my N810? Does it have a better processor/DSP? Better architecture? Are they using highly optimized legacy codes that Nokia has developed? If that's true, can those be ported to the N810 easily?

One last thing: I noticed that the N75 does some digital filtering that boosts the bass for the output of the A2DP, which isn't appropriate for home audio streaming, but good for headphones. If A2DP is eventually included in a Maemo build, it should have the option of neutral (flat) filtering, or perhaps a bass boost for headphones/earbugs.

Originally Posted by honzik View Post
Here's another observation. On my N75 phone, I am able to stream a real audio stream from www.radio.cz, and play it over my bluetooth receiver unit on my home audio system. No glitches or pitch changes.

What makes my N75 so much better than my N810? Does it have a better processor/DSP? Better architecture? Are they using highly optimized legacy codes that Nokia has developed? If that's true, can those be ported to the N810 easily?
I'm gonna bet that it's just more efficient use of the same it's DSP; it's also an OMAP2, IIRC. (No, it's actually OMAP1710, says Wikipedia; same as the 770...)

One last thing: I noticed that the N75 does some digital filtering that boosts the bass for the output of the A2DP, which isn't appropriate for home audio streaming, but good for headphones. If A2DP is eventually included in a Maemo build, it should have the option of neutral (flat) filtering, or perhaps a bass boost for headphones/earbugs.
Fremantle will include OpenMAX, which IIUC will make DSP things a lot easier and especially more flexible, including fairly simple addition of sound filters such as arbitrary equalization independent of sound output. (Personally, since I use IEMs and a BT HSP, both with rather good bass response, I'd be more interested in bass boost for the built-in speakers...)

I certainly hope (and, perhaps foolishly, expect) that we'll get a lot of Fremantle stuff running on the N8x0s eventually. Have to wait for the alpha releases and try...

[QUOTE=honzik;225911]What makes my N75 so much better than my N810?

I think A2DP was omitted to reduce loading on the Bluetooth transceiver when the N8xx is BT DUN connected through a cellphone.

Transferring 800Kbps on DUN while simultaneously trying to send BT stereo to a BT A2DP receiver is an awful load on Bluetooth. The other problem is we're using a 400 Mhz computer, not dual Pentium mainframe. Run Load Applet and watch the left CPU load meter when all this is going on. It maxes out, regularly...especially when someone is trying to run iphone glitz like Canola, adding to the overall hardware load loading artist pictures, album covers and other unnecessary nonsense over that BT link. There's only so many CPU cycles and so much BT bandwidth and oh, so many wait states!

My solution to get the stereo to the Motorola S9 was simple...an external A2DP transmitter to take the load off the tablet. Mine is a Sony TMR-BT10 little tiny clip. I can plug the coil cord into anything, tablet - ROKR Z6m player - other MP3 players and play them ALL through the A2DP side of the S9 WITHOUT constant BT pairing nonsense every time you want to change sources. Plugged into my desktop's headphone jack, the S9 plays nearly anywhere in the house...or into the tablet.

The load is off the tablet and its link to the phone. Playing TV streams now balks much less. It wouldn't even play with the hack.

BT10 is discontinued. It has fixed lithium-polymer and recharges in a tiny drop-in stand after a few days of hard use.

Works much better....weighs almost nothing...cheap discontinued item.