Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but I'm suffering from a poor network connectivity on my Jolllla at the moment.

Background: I'm using Vodafone UK at the moment and device runs latest 2.0. Only a handful patches were applied and all of them deals with homescreen and appearance, nothing changed on network.

Problem: Mobile data service drops constantly. Despite a sign of mobile network, there was often no real internet and shows a "limited connection" in mobile networks under setting.

I'm travelling most of the time. Sometimes I don't have steady signal, and Vodafone has a poor signal strength in some places but it certainly is not the worst operator in the UK.

Usually when I am on the train, sometimes it passes a tunnel and afterwards signal resumes but mobile network shows limited unless enabling flight mode and then disable it. (Restart mobile network) It may get back mobile data. Disabling data connection and enabling again doesn't help.

Similar happen when Vodafone has an unstable connection, when the signal goes back or stronger data does not resume.

Sometimes when I'm at Kings X where there are lots of people and operator's data service is busy in that area, I lost data connection unless I perform a complete reboot.

These do not happen everytime, but it happens often enough to become really annoying. I lose the basic function as a phone. And all above did not happen when I use N950 or BB Passport.

And this happens both on 3G/4G and 3G only.

Yes I can stand the fact I can hardly read the screen out doors. I can stand strange colours, I can stand poor camera and speaker, I can stand the OS is not optimised that well. I can stand a really poor Chinese input method which even does not support HW keyboard, I can stand everything, but not basic functions as a phone.

At first I thought was Vodafone's problem, after another few days of suffering and comparison with N950 (which is known of a poor signal receiving ability) I tend to believe it's Jolla's problem.

I'm wondering anyone else having the same problem? Starting to lose patience now, perhaps I shall just use an Android and ****** my brain with it. But this problem is unbearable... ;(

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2015-09-22 at 21:40.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
By the time I was writing this message, the connection was limited again. I can't even reply but data resumes again after flight mode. Already performed 20+ flight mode today. Now I just want to throw this stupid piece out of the train.

As I can connect the device with 3G and 4G this shouldn't be a HW flaw. But it happened so many times that I do not believe it is occational. Anyone had the same problem here? Or I should just quietly pretend my lovely Jolla is the greatest device after all...

Update:

https://together.jolla.com/question/...t-mobile-data/

Not only me but guess I'm in the most extreme circumstance.
Attached Images

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2015-09-22 at 19:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
By my experience Jolla can suffer from bad network connection while not bad enough as to keep you in doubt for a while.

Luckily mine has shown deterioration after repair by Jolla, so I immediately figured out that during the process something must have gone wrong with the antenna connection.

The problem was that everything worked but not exactly as it should. I changed SIM cards to another provider. Then I compared 2 phones next to each other and found the disadvantage for the Jolla.

With this knowledge I could send it in for warranty repair and things have improved back to normal level.

Last edited by ste-phan; 2015-09-22 at 19:56.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
By my experience Jolla can suffer from bad network connection while not bad enough to keep you in doubt for a while.

Luckily mine has shown deterioration after repair by Jolla, so I immediately figured out that during the process something must have gone wrong with the antenna connection.

The problem was that everything worked but not exactly as it should. I changed SIM cards to another provider. Then I compared 2 phones next to each other and found the disadvantage for the Jolla.

With this knowledge I could send it in for warranty repair and things have improved back to normal level.
Thanks for your suggestion. As the link in TJC I posted, this seem a bug of how system handling antenna, RF and data connection. Plus Vodafone UK is perhaps sub-par.

I guess sending for repair won't solve the problem. Perhaps downgrading to 1.1.7 will do so. And my device was actually brand new, bought one for my lady but she doesn't want to use it (she is cleverer than me, you see? ) so there shouldn't be HW flaws.

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2015-09-22 at 19:53.

Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Thanks for your suggestion. As the link in TJC I posted, this seem a bug of how system handling antenna, RF and data connection. Plus Vodafone UK is perhaps sub-par.

I guess sending for repair won't solve the problem. Perhaps downgrading to 1.1.7 will do so. And my device was actually brand new, bought one for my lady but she doesn't want to use it (she is cleverer than me, you see? ) so there shouldn't be HW flaws.
Best way to find out is try in a place where there is not so excellent reception but other Vodaphone enabled mobile works flawlessly.

IF the Jolla performs sub par you have reason to send it back for checkup.

If your antenna is performing badly, your battery life will do the same (more drainage).

I just downgraded to 1.1.7.28: very refreshing and clean interface compared to 2.0 preview - doesn't hurt to try
Let us know...

PS You mean your lady is less idealistic and more realistic than you?

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Thank you! Will try to do more testing if I can. Really appreciated for your suggestions and information.

PS: Yes perhaps. She told me Jolla is incapable for daily use. *Sigh*

Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Vodafone has a poor signal strength in some places but it certainly is not the worst operator in the UK.
Vodafone used to be one of the best, but is now one of the worst:

http://m.thedrum.com/news/2014/08/13...obile-operator

I have problems on trains too, by the way. Not just with Sailfish, Android suffers the same problem. If I was a network operator and had limited bandwidth in an area, I would prioritise devices that are relatively stationary / have been connected for a long time, otherwise you end up disconnecting locals to connect someone on a train for 30seconds while they zip past. I'm on GiffGaff btw... signal strength is much worse than EE, but I like the company.

The Following User Says Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Vodafone used to be one of the best, but is now one of the worst:

http://m.thedrum.com/news/2014/08/13...obile-operator

I have problems on trains too, by the way. Not just with Sailfish, Android suffers the same problem. If I was a network operator and had limited bandwidth in an area, I would prioritise devices that are relatively stationary / have been connected for a long time, otherwise you end up disconnecting locals to connect someone on a train for 30seconds while they zip past. I'm on GiffGaff btw... signal strength is much worse than EE, but I like the company.
Thank you! I agree with that article, Vodafone's signal seem to me worse in the past two years, especially out of london.

But my problem was when signal restores, Jolla could not connect back unless flight mode or reboot. This is annoying as the device shows signal and even connected, there is no real internet. While my other phones restores as normal. Even if I changed to the best network available, like EE or even if EE+O2 combined together, there will always be certain point that the signal is weak, or blocked (tunnels, tubes, basements...) in such circumstance Jolla won't restore connection as well. Especially if you are in tubes like District line, you do get some weak signal when the train is close to the surface but again this will cause Jolla to lose connection.

Vodafone is to blamed but i don't think other operators can solve the problem though. It's frustrated to see bugs like this still exists in the latest OS.

Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
@chenliangchen, your problem seems severe, I suggest you contact Jolla care.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jordi For This Useful Post:
2 mobile phones tethering to 2 laptops, and stream some real world video / audio , do some websurfing to check net response.

This on a spot with marginal coverage of 3G (as you need this speed to stream), but of course not straight under the 4G towers where your antenna might not be needed.

See if Jolla shows more hickups / disconnects on same trajectory or location.

I have been using the Jolla as Wifi hotspot in the car last summer, auto switching from 2 to 3 and 4G and I felt it is very efficient for that job.

After it get fixed, you may show your lady how superior your Jolla is in this test compared to her iPhone?

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post: